Home Depot started carrying walnut here...
I've now seen mahogany (Myrtle Beach) and walnut (Manassas). Unfortunately, both are absurdly overpriced (walnut is $19+ per board foot). Last year I was able to pick up some 3/4" walnut plywood for something like $40 a sheet, but even if they slash their prices by half on the existing walnut it may not be worth it. Some of the pieces are quite pretty, but for that price, who's buying?
"Not I", said the little red rooster.
At the local HD in Oxford MA they are carrying walnut, maple, poplar, oak and cherry.
E
Thankyouthankyouverymuch.
That's weird. They don't even carry 8' SPF studs here at the one closest to me only yellow pine so oak is considered an exotic wood.
My local HD here in north Florida carries red oak. It is sold by the running foot and is veeeerrrry $$$. BUT--I needed a nice piece for a repair so I splurged and spent $3 on a cutoff.
===---===---===---===---===---===---===---===---
Please visit my website
splintermaking.com
Just oak and poplar here.

Oddly enough the local woodcraft has reasonable prices.
-Marc

Our woodcraft in Louisville has what I consider crazy prices, but we have several lumber yards where I can get walnut at $4 a bft.

I have a local building supply store (LK Tap and Sons) where I can get poplar and oak for about half of what the big box stores ask. They also carry 5/4 (1") poplar that comes in handy sometimes.

For 50 or more bft, I will make the trip and get rough sawn, but for a few pieces, milled lumber from LK's makes more sense
Wood prices, other than construction lumber, are ridiculous at the local Home Depot here. I bought some Poplar a while back for drawer boxes and regret it since I had Pine, Oak, Walnut, ERC, etc. already on hand.

It would have to be an extreme case of immediate need before I would ever buy wood there again. They only have RO, Poplar and Pine, anyway.
If I had 8 hours to cut down a tree, I'd do it in 15 minutes with a chainsaw and drink beer the other 7:45 hrs.
I'm with Jim and Pink - HD is a source of last resort for wood. The only thing I've bought there in any amount is 1X12 common. Their's is stored inside so it's dry and not too out of line with other local sources.
saw the Walnut this past Saturday in Everett MA, not a very big selection.