GF Exterior 450 over GF Arm R Seal?
My inside dining table project has been reassigned to the outside deck. I've got 3 coats of Arm R Seal on the trestle base already - any opinions about using GF Exterior 450 over the Arm R Seal? Both water based products.

Thanks,

Jeff
I would call GF tech support on that one.

John
Thanks John, I sent an email to them a while ago but have not heard back. I'll try phoning.

Jeff
If you would let us know what you find out. Generally Waterborne finishes are compatible with most other finishes so that should not be a problem. I'd expect an outdoor finish to work over an indoor finish but not necessarily a indoor over an outdoor. I'm curious what GF says.
homo homini lupus
"The best lack all conviction, while the worst are full of passionate intensity." Yeats
Si vis pacem, para bellum
Quodcumque potest manus tua facere instaner opere Ecclesiastes
Arm r Seal is not a water based product. It's oil based.
Rusty
Poppa's Woodworks
absolutely right -I stand corrected. Not sure why I thought it was water based. Thanks for pointing that out - I guess I have to rethink this.
It may still be OK to do, but checking with GF's tech support wouldn't be a bad thing. Waterborne finishes are applied to oil base stains (which usually have a varnish like binder) is done all the time, though you do need to make sure they are cured.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
Follow-up:
I heard from GF tech support this morning. They said the problem will be that Arm R Seal is too hard for an outdoor finish and will crack and peel sooner than the exterior 450. Suggestion was to go with it as is and expect to have to refinish sooner than with the 450.

Thanks all for your help with this.

Jeff
Thanks for that info. I hadn't thought about that, but GF's response makes perfect sense. You can't put a thumb nail impression into an Arm-R-Seal finish, but it's easy to do with something finished with Epifanes.

John
JR1 said:

Generally Waterborne finishes are compatible with most other finishes so that should not be a problem.

From experience, I'd disagree. Years ago, I coated a commercial cabinet with GF Polycrylic and, after several years, the acrylic started crazing and flaking off.

In defense, this may have taken as many as about 10 years. The cabinet is in a bathroom, so it's also subjected to huge humidity swings, too. However, I've had pieces in bathrooms or other high humidity places finished with Polycrylic for longer periods of time with no crazing, cracking, or crazing. I made a mistake by putting it over the lacquer of that cabinet, but love GF Polycrylic for it's durability.

Blaine