Doctoring A Sign
My inlaws bought one of those engraved/routed wood signs at a craft fair a couple years ago. They ordered it, it got shipped to them. It has their name on it, except the name is spelt with an apostrophe before the S, so it's possessive when it should just be plural. As a former english teacher, it bugs my MIL. As a fomerly decent writer, it bothers me. The apostrophe and the letters are painted black, the sign has some sort of film finish on it that is going to have to be renewed soon anyway. What options do I have to fill in the apostrophe to make it blend in and/or disguise it as something else? Can something like bondo be tinted?
I'd turn it into a bug or flower
"Truth is a highway leading to freedom"  --Kris Kristofferson

Wild Turkey
We may see the writing on the wall, but all we do is criticize the handwriting.
(joined 10/1999)
Bondo can be tinted with transtint or other dies. I like the idea of turning it into something else.
homo homini lupus
"The best lack all conviction, while the worst are full of passionate intensity." Yeats
Si vis pacem, para bellum
Quodcumque potest manus tua facere instaner opere Ecclesiastes
Wild Turkey said:

I'd turn it into a bug or flower

I thought about that. Was afraid it might still suggest the apostrophe, and I'm not that good of an artist but I will think about it some more. Maybe I can fill it then paint over it with some sort of flowery vine thing. Sort of wind the vine around the sign.

thanks.
You could check a crafts store and use a decoupage technique for the add in. I'm not an artist and that dodge has saved me numerous times.
homo homini lupus
"The best lack all conviction, while the worst are full of passionate intensity." Yeats
Si vis pacem, para bellum
Quodcumque potest manus tua facere instaner opere Ecclesiastes
Fill in the offending apostrophe with Bondo, prime and paint the entire sign in white, black, burgundy or dark green.

Then use One-Shot gold or antique gold to fill in the carved portion. The white with gold is not the most readable combination but it always looks elegant.

I would use One-Shot for the white, green, black etc. too.

Don't use a substitute. The One-shot is definitely the way to go.

http://www.amazon.com/1-Shot-Letter-Enam...shot+paint+gold

When I was a kid there was a local camera store and the sign said, "Pete's Camera's".

The second apostrophe bothered me even at 13 years old. I asked the store owner why the "camera's" had an apostrophe and he said, "The sign maker made a mistake and he gave me a discount if I took it as is." And at the ripe old age of 13 I said, "I wouldn't have."

http://www.drewscreativecarving.com/site...s/web1.JPG
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
If it wasn't ordered that way, can the company correct the problem and send another one?
Odd issue. The apostrophe could be either way. The sign is meant to convey possessive as in this place belongs to these people not that there are more than one by that name there. You can go either way just depends on the message you are trying to say.

It's in the common place for a sign of that type though as its meant to be posessive as in this is our place.

As to a repair bondo brand will absorb water through the wood and eventually fall off. There are quality fillers that are much better like evercoat that won't absorb moisture.
Bondo is to automotive as min wax is to woodworking.
Robert Adams said:

As to a repair bondo brand will absorb water through the wood and eventually fall off. There are quality fillers that are much better like evercoat that won't absorb moisture.

I repaired a hole in my garage door 15 years ago by backing up with a piece of 1/4" ply and using Bondo. It looks as good as the day I made the repair, which is to say if you don't know where the backing board is you won't know where the repair is.

And Minwax's Oil based poly is greatly underrated by most. But the most recent review in (I believe) Fine Woodworking had it score well above most of the other finishes.

I do think that their water based Polycrylic is junk however.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
Robert Adams said:

Odd issue. The apostrophe could be either way. The sign is meant to convey possessive as in this place belongs to these people not that there are more than one by that name there. You can go either way just depends on the message you are trying to say.

It's in the common place for a sign of that type though as its meant to be posessive as in this is our place.

Well, we're trying to say there's more than one person there. In any case, it's not what my in-laws wanted.

As to Bondo, my first house I used bondo to repair the ends of some rotted wood brickmold around some doors and a window. That was 15 years ago. My sister bought that house, and still lives there and while I haven't looked at it closely the Bondo hasn't fallen off yet.