Tint Base
I have seen here on the Woodnet that one can use an untinted tint base paint for a clear top coat on outdoor furniture, doors etc. My problem is that I don't know what to ask for when I go into SW.

Which number tint base do I use. I'm painting a wood chair for the patio and I want some good protection.

Thanks George
If you just ask for A100 or their best waterborne outdoor finish you will be OK. But try asking for an oil paint and the base that they would use for white or oyster shell. Then when they want to add tint tell them not to. They may tell you that it is only available to contractors or in 5 gal lots and is special order. A better but pricer alternative is just use GF 450 it's widely available, better than the oil and much easier to use.
homo homini lupus
"The best lack all conviction, while the worst are full of passionate intensity." Yeats
Si vis pacem, para bellum
Quodcumque potest manus tua facere instaner opere Ecclesiastes
JR1 knows something about the SW oil finishes I don't. The advice I've always followed (for both oil and waterbornes) is to use the base for the deepest (dark) colors. That used to be the #4 base for most brands, and #5 for Olympic. Here's the artcle that got me started on using them. The thing is it was written when oil based finishes available pretty much everywhere; and that's all changed.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
Here's a link to the latex version of A100. There also is an alkyd version.

John
sw ultradeep base. says enamel on the can. it is an oil base paint. Also it is indoor out door paint. I have it in a satin and that is plenty of gloss. I have the guy trained here he doesn't try an talk me into adding tint. It goes on kind of tan and dries clear. I haven't tried the A100, though Mac did a test on it to see if it dried clear a while back. Since I am finishing for other people I use what I know works and oil base is what Jim did the tests on. I also use it on the raised dog feeders I make and it holds up well on them. I am sold on the ultradeep tint base in oil base it has held up well on outdoor stuff and I haven't had any complaints in the five yrs or so I've used it.
Not looking to hi-Jack, but this might help th OP as well. What process do you use? Sand and paint? Sand, undercoat, paint?

John, what is better for outdoor furniture? Latex or Alkyd?

Thanks, I have a friend that has a park bench that I'm putting new oak on and this is perfect timing for me.

Joel
USN (Corpsman) 1968-1972
USAF Retired Aug 31, 1994
Santa Rosa County, Fl Retired Jun 1, 2012
Now just a hobbiest enjoying woodworking!
I've used the Alykld. Latex is non specific it's like saying paint. The base used for the lightest colors is the most transparent.
homo homini lupus
"The best lack all conviction, while the worst are full of passionate intensity." Yeats
Si vis pacem, para bellum
Quodcumque potest manus tua facere instaner opere Ecclesiastes
Thanks for the article Fred. After reading, it answered my questions. Hopefully I'll find an oil-based base.

Joel
USN (Corpsman) 1968-1972
USAF Retired Aug 31, 1994
Santa Rosa County, Fl Retired Jun 1, 2012
Now just a hobbiest enjoying woodworking!
Joel, some folks swear oil based is better for exterior applications, others say water based. Some say the best approach is to use an OB primer and WB topcoat. Take your pick.

Personally, I hate dealing with the clean up of oil based paint, so I use waterbased, both primer and paint.

What ever approach you take, use high quality products for the longest durability.

John
Thanks everyone. Some great information.

George