Saw till work in progress
So I recently posted a new Forrest WWII for trade on the classifieds forum below. Worked out a deal and got a sweet thumbhole D8 and a 24" D8 x-cut.

With that I decided that hanging all my saws from two hooks on the wall wasn't good enough any more, so I started in on a saw till.

Dimensions are 24" wide, 40" tall. Basic, open style with slanted sides. The bottom 6" will be two drawers and a cubby, or three drawers, or something like that. All Southern Yellow Pine from HD, I have decided that it will be 100% hand cut everything (I usually cave in and use the TS for rip cuts and cleaning up the ends). Last night I got the basic shape done and all the Dovetails cut. So far so good.

Dovetails fit right off the saw too, which is unheard of for me! Right now I'm all about slightly long dovetails. I love the look... Not sure if I'll plane them flush or not just yet.

More pics later as I progress.

Jeff
That joint looks great!

How do you prevent the edges of SYP from crumbling? The stuff I have must be 30-percent pitch and the rest molded sawdust. We rarely see Southern Pine here in the Pac. N.W. What I have is an HD special on short clears.
Nice work.
You must have some very sharp chisels.
Eric.
Ok guys, so I cut two dados last night. I mis-marked the first one though and it's a little loose. What's the best technique for tightening it up? It's probably off by 3/64".

Cut a super thin shim?

Jeff
Those dovetails are right off the saw?? Nice work!! Yeah, I would just try to cut a thin shim to take up the slop in the dado.
Currently a smarta$$ but hoping to one day graduate to wisea$$
DaveParkis said:

Those dovetails are right off the saw?? Nice work!! Yeah, I would just try to cut a thin shim to take up the slop in the dado.

Yeah, right off the saw. I started using the blue painters tape technique, and it saved my bacon... Makes such a huge difference... I have to do some cleanup work on harder woods usually, but the SYP compresses enough that I get a nice snug fit.
Looks great, enviably clean work in soft pine there!
Ok, well, took a vacation. Back at it now. Had to cut some rabbets to let in the back

and a bunch of dados for the drawer frames:

Here's a shot of the front showing the front handle rack that is dovetailed into the sides.

And finally a full shot of the dry fit assembly.

All that is left now is to cut and fit the back, then I can get on to fitting the saw plate rack.
Coming along really nice! I'm looking forward to seeing the finished till.
I'm assuming that the front rail, just above the drawer openings will be where the top horn of the saw handles will rest. Have you tested a saw there yet. I've built a few tills and it looks to me like you will need to have that rail a little taller.

I just looked at mine and I think I have my "lean angle" greater than yours so you're probably okay.
cheers
pat