Ok...sharpening jigs
The discussion on the other thread that turned into sharpening jigs brings up some interesting points. Spokeshave blades seem to be problematic for many people. Others have posted some workarounds to try and adapt the jigs they have. It seems like there is still room for another sharpening jig in this world, so I'll tell you a bit about the one I came up with over the last couple of months and made in the last couple of weeks. The object was to handle spokeshave blades ( I have many and use them often) but it does so much more. I'm not going to share photos of it here just yet, but I've been talking with Steve Friedman working out details and he is going to be tester #1. These are the different things I sharpened today.

[/URL]

And this.

So what is the most difficult to hold blade that you need to sharpen? I'm going to make two more of these jigs and I'm interested in having a couple of other people try them out and make comments (good or bad) about what they think of it. I'm not sure I want to go into production on this, bringing out the chain for the vise was a bit daunting and in not sure I want to do it again but if it is a hit with the people that try it we'll see.
It can handle a blade 3" wide and 3/16" thick maybe more. As short as 1", no problem. It doesn't do chisels but might if I make some changes.
So what is your most challenging blade to sharpen. Oh and does anyone need a short blade holder for the LV jigs? I don't think I'll be using mine anymore.
If you want to try this out send me a PM and I'll start a list and see where it goes.

Jim
http://ancorayachtservice.com/ home of the Chain Leg Vise.
Toughest one to get perfect? The short skinny blades for the #39's (skewed) and the T&G planes (48 & 49).
" The founding fathers weren't trying to protect citizens' rights to have an interesting hobby." I Learn Each Day 1/18/13

www.RUSTHUNTER.com
I didn't try my skewed blades, I'll do them tomorrow. If the will fit in a three inch width it will work. I'll know tomorrow. Tongue and groove, no problem.
Jim
Jim,

Looking forward to giving it a try. Initial pictures look very promising. I envy your skills.

My most difficult blades are my bent gouges, but that's a whole 'nother ballgame. For flat blades, it's anything that the Eclipse-style guide won't hold. With all my honing guides, that's still the one I reach for first. I only have one skewed blade, so I put up with the Mk II and the skew attachment.

But, it would be great to have a jig for blades that are too short for the Eclipse. The LV short blade attachment doesn't do it for me. Have had too many blades go flying out of that thing. Glad I was taught never to try to catch a blade on its way to the floor.

As Curt pointed out in his post a few months ago, the Kell guide does work for spokeshaves, but it has flaws. My hands aren't that big and I still haven't figured out how to hold it comfortably when honing a short blade. I seem to have extra fingers with no where to go.

I would say that narrow chisels are a challenge (especially for those of us with aging eyes), but think the smaller Kell guide is as good as it gets for those. Chisels are long enough to give you someplace to rest your fingers and the guide does a great job of securing those skinny guys.

Thanks for taking this project on.

Steve
Hopefully, your jig won't take 2+ years to get to market! It's nice to have choices.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
I'm trying to source out the parts now. The one I made was from spare parts laying around the shop, and the use of a milling machine. Trying to find parts to cut down on the milling.
Jim
Jim,

I'd love to be a tester but I have only the one Stanley 51 spokeshave that I got for my 10th or 11th birthday - and the Kell jig works fine for that. Regardless, I'm really anxious to see what you've come up with.
Thanks,  Curt
-----------------
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards."
      -- Soren Kierkegaard
I'm sure there would be alot of interest in your device. If you could sharpen single edge razor blades as well as Japanese plane blades, I KNOW you have a winner. I have a small Japanese plane that uses an insert instead of a full blade. There is a sharpening jig for them but it is plastic and not very well made. I'll send you a picture.
If you sent it to Derek Cohen I think you'd have a good honest evaluation.
Bill
Thanks Herebrooks. I do not have any Japanese planes but don't know why they wouldn't work. How wide are the replaceable blade? Derek may just end up with one, he and I worked on the chain vise together. I'm really in the R&D stages still, so it gets modified in some way almost daily.
I'm off to try the skewed blades, and I know what to change if they don't fit right in.
Jim
Yes, but can it sharpen my toenail clippers?
"When I nod my head, hit it." - M. Howard.

"I think you should learn how to use hand tools before you even touch a power tool." - Sam Maloof