My wife made a request.
We were on our way to the WIA show in KC when she mad this request. But let me give you a little information before telling you the rest of the story.

On the tenth of next month I will be 70. And she said when I get to old to do anymore woodworking and it is time for me to sell my tools, She wants to bring my workbench home and use it for the kitchen table. She wants the 3 vises left on and a cover made for the tool try.

My bench wasn't made to set around, I would need to keep my shop stools. One would have to set sidways to get close enough to eat.

Anyway I was touched and surprised at the request. She says she has pictures of it being build, but I am going to go upstairs to see if they are still digital or not. I can always go over to my shop and get some if anyone is interested.

Tom
Great wife for a great guy
Sounds like a great plan- in 20 years when you start to think about slowing down with the woodworking...
Tom

Meeting you and your wife the other day when you gave me the Old DeWalt RAS and letting me buy the Saw vise.

Sitting in the living room and listening to your wife talking I seen how much she loves you and respects you and that make a Great wife.

I think it is a wonderful idea and maybe in the future you can sit at the table and even use the table and vises to do some carving and other things. I think it is a great idea and it saves a piece of your wood working history too.

My Birthday is Oct 18th and it is nice having our Birthdays so close together. I thought you only look only in your early 60's not 70.

I have taken some pictures of the RAS and will post some pictures of the before and after I clean it up. WD40 sure does wonders in making things go smoother. What year was it made anyway.

Also knowing you are only 200 miles away I hope we can see more of each other.

Arlin
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
I think some tools earn a retirement. Workbenches can be passed on, of course, but of all a guy's tools, a workbench is perhaps the most personal. Most of us build our own, after all, to our own specs and preferences. We leave many, many of our own marks on them.

I'd consider letting your wife have her way.

And after all, vises make great jar openers--so long as you don't clamp down too tightly. DAMHIKT.
Steve S.
------------------------------------------------------
Tradition cannot be inherited, and if you want it you must obtain it by great labour.
- T. S. Eliot

Tutorials and Build-Alongs at The Literary Workshop
A workbench is so personal, it is almost an alter ego of the builder. Add to that, the hours, sweat, toil and thought that you spent around your altar to craftsmanship, and it is quite easy to see why a place of honor is due. The fact that your wife has the insight to know these things is a tribute to her and to you.

God Bless both of you.
"We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm"
                                                                                                                        Winston Churchill
Depending upon the size and height, I'd suggest using it as a prep station/giant butcher block, or possibly a sideboard.
Dave Arbuckle was kind enough to create a Sketchup model of my WorkMate benchtop: http://www.arbolloco.com/sketchup/MauleSkinnerBenchtop.skp
Wonderful sentiment.
Kudos to your wife- great insight into who you are!
You're lucky to have a wife like that. Mine will probably chunk all of my stuff into a big pile in the driveway and burn it after she gets back home from my funeral.

carl