Help me pick a router plane.
I'm thinking of getting a router plane. I don't know which brand and if I want an open throat or a closed throat plane.

My main use would be to clean up the bottoms of table saw made dadoes in plywood to insure a consistent depth. Secondary use would be for cleaning up the bottoms of hinge mortises.

As far as brands go I like good tools so I'll pay for a good one.
Alaskan's for Global Warming
Eagle River AK
I have the LV as well as a bunch of vintage Stanleys and the LV is really, really nice. I think the closed throat would be better for the jobs you mentioned. I have not used the LN, but I can't imagine that it isn't also a high quality tool and its a little less expensive than the LV.
Currently a smarta$$ but hoping to one day graduate to wisea$$
DaveParkis said:

I have not used the LN, but I can't imagine that it isn't also a high quality tool and its a little less expensive than the LV.

Although...the LV comes with two cutters 1/2" wide (straight and spear point), and the LN with one 3/8" wide. If you get a second cutter with the LN, you've passed the LV. So I guess it would somewhat depend on the width of the standard dadoes used.
Cleaning up dados, grooves, and rabbets in ply is a hit and miss operation, since it's so easy to lift up one of the intermediate plys if the exposed ply is cut really thin. I have the LV large router. The LV also offers many different sizes of cutters, vs. the LN one which is basically just one cutter. For hinge mortises, the large router is often too large. You may consider getting both a large router and a small one. The smaller router will more easy to control and span shorter distances. The opening on a large router may not allow you to keep the entire base of the router across your hinge mortise, requiring you to create a spacer at the same height as your work piece. This is especially true if your mortise is close to the end of the board.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
As for hinge mortises, there's another option: I made this my ownself. Mine was sized for architectural hinges, but no reason you couldn't make a smaller one for cabinet hinges.
ruffcutt said:

I'm thinking of getting a router plane. I don't know which brand and if I want an open throat or a closed throat plane.

My main use would be to clean up the bottoms of table saw made dadoes in plywood to insure a consistent depth. Secondary use would be for cleaning up the bottoms of hinge mortises.

You didn't say how you cut the hinge mortises. If by a power tool as well, then you don't need a router plane.

You just need a block with sandpaper for the dadoes and mortises. My cabinetmaker friends do that if needed. Actually, they seldom do as they use a proper set of dadoes.

Simon
Thank for every ones input it helps.
Alaskan's for Global Warming
Eagle River AK
Bill_Houghton said:

As for hinge mortises, there's another option: I made this my ownself. Mine was sized for architectural hinges, but no reason you couldn't make a smaller one for cabinet hinges.

Bill, did LV/LN steal your concept for the hinge mortise plane?
ruffcutt said:

Tool steel blades and plywood glue are not a happy match. In this case I would use a carbide bit in a power router and not a router plane.

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com
The question asked was “Help me pick a router plane” and I think there have been a lot of great responses. If reviewing to buy a new plane and you were looking at getting one of the planes with multiple blades what blades are most used or would be most recommended?