Question on where to buy 5" Dbl. Extra-Slim Taper File
Looking to buy the subject file for sharpening saws. It seem like prices have gone up since I have last needed some. Where are you folks getting your files? thanks.

Dennis
Lee Valley usually has them, but they're out of stock until June.
Steve S.
------------------------------------------------------
Tradition cannot be inherited, and if you want it you must obtain it by great labour.
- T. S. Eliot

Tutorials and Build-Alongs at The Literary Workshop
Have you tried Amazon? Here's a link for a box of 12 Grobet 4" double x-tra slim taper files. Probably more than you need, but would last you a very long time:

http://www.amazon.com/Grobet-American-Pa...B00Q6W5SS0
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
thanks for the link. Will be buying a pack of 12.
Some time back there was a discussion about new production Nicholson files being made in Mexico as a good alternative by Daryl Weir. Dayrl ought to know a good file when he sees one. Similar verbiage from the Vintage Saws website, who thought the new Nicholsons were a better file than the Grobets. They also sell the Mexican Nicholsons in a variety of sizes including double extra slim, but they may also be available at other outlets. Look for the green packaging made in Mexico, not the red/blue made in China.

Phil
It should be noted that the decline of Grobet was related to moving production out of Switzerland. The Swiss-made Grobets, IMO, are better than the Mexican Nicholsons.

Phil S. said:

Some time back there was a discussion about new production Nicholson files being made in Mexico as a good alternative by Daryl Weir. Dayrl ought to know a good file when he sees one. Similar verbiage from the Vintage Saws website, who thought the new Nicholsons were a better file than the Grobets. They also sell the Mexican Nicholsons in a variety of sizes including double extra slim, but they may also be available at other outlets. Look for the green packaging made in Mexico, not the red/blue made in China.

Phil

Still Learning,

Allan Hill
Are Swiss made Grobets still available or just as NOS?
deeno said:

thanks for the link. Will be buying a pack of 12.

These are "Grobet USA" files, made in India, I think. I've got several boxes, they are ok, about the same or slightly better than the Mexican Nicholson's ; the Bahco from LV or from Isaac at Blackburn Tools are much better in terms of life of the file.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
Phil S. said:

Some time back there was a discussion about new production Nicholson files being made in Mexico as a good alternative by Daryl Weir. Dayrl ought to know a good file when he sees one. Similar verbiage from the Vintage Saws website, who thought the new Nicholsons were a better file than the Grobets. They also sell the Mexican Nicholsons in a variety of sizes including double extra slim, but they may also be available at other outlets. Look for the green packaging made in Mexico, not the red/blue made in China. Phil

I read Daryl Weir's post with great interest as well. When I saw some 5" XX Slim files in the green package, I bought five of them. To my dismay, the first file did not last through even one twelve inch back saw. One sharpening pass, one side worn out. After three passes, I threw the file away and went back to a vintage K&F to finish the saw.

I'm guessing that some of the old stock was repackaged into the new green package, along with the new files that Daryl found to be good. For the record, Daryl tested the 6" slim taper, whereas mine was the 5" XX Slim.

Just my experience.
Bob Page
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
In da U.P. of Michigan
www.loonlaketoolworks.com
Bibliophile 13 said:

Lee Valley usually has them, but they're out of stock until June.

I know but will be buying a few this Thursday May 26 for free shipping and have to wait a bit.

Steve