Gerstner and Imitators
At an Orvis fishing store, I looked at a Gerstner tool box for the first time. The visible parts are pretty. What a letdown! I was shocked to find the drawers to function almost as badly as its Harbor Freight imitation.

I would copy the thing just to make the drawers have a "piston-like fit" and smooth action. But only after redesign so it was functional for my own work.
It was probably Gerstner International. Those are made overseas for a lower price point, and as you saw not as good.
Jim
http://ancorayachtservice.com/ home of the Chain Leg Vise.
Do you mean This?

Appears to be not available anymore, at least online... How much was it in the store?...
If you're interested in the real Gerstner, and don't want to pay for a new one, here's a reputable dealer who restores them to beautiful condition.

https://gerstnertoolchest.shutterfly.com...chests/256

r2
I've got a couple of older Gerstners and they are well made - better than the Gerstner International models which, as Jim said,are made to market to a lower price point. I bought my first one in 1973 for around $50 in a garage sale. It belonged to a guy that apprenticed with my grandfather. It is a Gerstner model O52 in Golden Oak. There were a lot of these sold after the war along with its smaller brother the O42.

Around 10 years ago, I bought a top and middle chest, model 92 XL in walnut.

I bought it on Ebay. The listing was local pickup only and the location was way out in the sticks of Indiana about 6 hours away. No one else bid so I got it for opening bid - $1000. The seller met me at a gas station outside of Indianapolis. I paid his gas and he cut my trip time in half.

What I'm trying to say is there are some good deals on the older Gerstners if you're patient and watch. I see some really good deals on CL from time to time too. I'm on the hunt right now for the chest my Grandpa had. A distant cousin is rumored to have it so I'm hoping he might let loose of it. Keep looking - you'll find one - they're still out there.

Lonnie

PS The chest under the O52 was made by a gentleman here in Columbus. He became ill and had to sell off his shop. All of the drawers were full of Pfeil gouges!
It's sad to say, but I would steer clear of ANY of the new Gerstner products domestic and international.

I bought an international set from Garrett wade about 12 years ago and used it as my primary nice "tool box" in my shop. Mostly for small bit and layout tools. It was used very gently and never moved around. It was fine for the first year or two but then stuff started falling apart. Drawers became loose, the side of the case split, the felt delaminated, lockset fell apart, and the front cover hinge broke. GARBAGE!

Around the same time my father gave me a new American made Christmas. His father gave him a Gerstner in the 60's that he still has and that I have admired since I was a boy.

The chest is was supposed to be the "Cadillac" model HOWEVER the front tray was very poorly designed and the case split out where there was about 1/16 of material left on the edge where they routed out the guide channel. At first I thought this was my mistake, however my father's chest (who had bought one for himself too) broke immediately in the exact same spot.
Its really disappointing to see another once great American company go down the tubes.

--------------------
"Aus so krummem Holze, als woraus der Mensch gemacht ist, kann nichts ganz Gerades gezimmert werden."
We'll find out shortly. I ordered one this morning for the LOML to use as a jewelry box. She is a jewelry maker and will appreciate the box for her tools and supplies.
Mike

If you're the smartest person in the room, you're in the wrong room!

But not today...
They are here in Dayton, which also was once one of the top cities in America for tool and die work. The combination of the 2 make for a lot of the really nice boxes of old that tool guys used lovingly available at auction frequently. They still nail top dollar, not rare, and certainly used, but they bring in the bid.

Having seen both a number of times, Gerstner International is junk.
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
I've had a bit of luck finding old Gerstner boxes as of late. Here's two model 042s I've picked up in the past month.

The good ones are nice, indeed. Some of the prices quoted here for used ones give me a good sense of value. There are definitely deals to be made.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill