WoodNet Forums View Today's Active Woodworking Topics
View All Today's Active Topics
Woodsmith Library Online

Active >> Woodturning

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
RokJok

Loc: Rainy side of the Cascade Mtns
Baileigh Industrial lathes -- Good? Bad? Other?
      #6501454 - 09/13/13 07:10 AM

Does anyone here drive (or has driven) a Baileigh Industrial lathe and, if so, what is your opinion of its good points, shortcomings, and features you'd like to add/change on it?

I'm considering pulling the trigger on a 12-20, so am looking for first-hand experiences with them.

--------------------
"For true creativity, we have to think beyond our tools." - MsNomer -
"Measuring is the enemy of precision." - Chris Schwarz on story sticks -
"only one opinion counts, the one that pays." - daveferg -

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
RokJok

Re: Baileigh Industrial lathes -- Good? Bad? Other? new [Re: RokJok]
      #6501903 - 09/13/13 12:42 PM

Here is the specific model I'm eyeballing at present:
http://wood.baileighindustrial.com/bench-top-wood-lathe-wl-1220vs

I like the built-in capability for outboard turning. The threaded mounting holes in the handwheel to facilitate it and the standard outboard tool rest mount are nice features IMHO.

I talked to CS rep at Baileigh's California location and got a little more info on that lathe.

-- NO REVERSE!!
That's too bad, since with a DC motor and (I assume) a VFD, it would have been simple enough to implement. Or is there something I'm missing about this lathe or motor that says it can't be done, or at least can't be done easily?

-- Spindle is 1-1/4" x 8 TPI.
So I will need to get a new chuck adapter (insert Y at this page) for it, since my current Jet Mini 1014 has a 1" x 8 TPI spindle. Fortunately, both the Jet and the Baileigh 1220 have MT2 tapers, so my drive and tail-stock centers should work.

-- Shipping will add just under $200 to get it from CA to WA state. Total cost then is pretty much at the $800 mark. Good news is that there is no sales tax on that, since they don't have WA state location.

Wildwood

Loc: Jacksonville, NC
      #6502073 - 09/13/13 02:32 PM

That wood lathe sure looks a lot like this one!

http://www.grizzly.com/products/12-x-20-Heavy-Duty-Bench-Top-Wood-Lathe/G0658

RokJok

Re: Baileigh Industrial lathes -- Good? Bad? Other? new [Re: Wildwood]
      #6502123 - 09/13/13 03:10 PM

WW, you are correct. Thanks for pointing that Griz out to me.

Except for the price, paint color, and spindle threads (Griz = 1" x 8 TPI), they could be twins right down to the outboard turning rest slots. I'm within a few hours of Bellingham WA so could drive up there to pick it up and save the shipping charge.

NCPaladin

Loc: North Carolina
      #6502236 - 09/13/13 05:17 PM

RokJok said:

Except for the price, paint color, and spindle threads (Griz = 1" x 8 TPI), they could be twins

To me there is another major difference, the one you are looking at states 8 amps (readable in the photo) and the HF spec sheet states 3.2 amps.

I would go ahead and get the "L" insert. It is already tapped with the setscrew for reverse if you ever need it with a different lathe. No difference in price.

--------------------
Joe Friday: Just the facts ma'am, just the facts.

RokJok

Re: Baileigh Industrial lathes -- Good? Bad? Other? new [Re: NCPaladin]
      #6502753 - 09/14/13 10:28 AM

NCPaladin said:

To me there is another major difference, the one you are looking at states 8 amps (readable in the photo) and the HF spec sheet states 3.2 amps.

You are correct.

But what's weird is that both DC motors are spec'ed at 3/4 HP, in spite of the large (2.5 x) difference in amp rating. Anyone have an explanation or speculation of how they do that? Perhaps the Griz is rating the motor with Sears HP.

With the same HP rating, I wonder "How does that translate to torque applied at the spindle to the workpiece?" Really, that is the pragmatic consideration IMHO -- Will the machine bog down if I get a little aggressive hogging off material or will it laugh at my girly-man efforts and keep rotating at speed/torque as if nothing were happening?

Quote:

I would go ahead and get the "L" insert. It is already tapped with the setscrew for reverse if you ever need it with a different lathe. No difference in price.

NCP, good eye on spotting the free upgrade with the L insert. Thanks for highlighting that.

Wildwood

#6502777 - 09/14/13 11:15 AM

Too bad cannot see Grizzly motor plate, not sure what to believe on spec sheet and specs located in manual the same. Motor plates on both lathes look the same! Had to go to customer review page to see G0658 motor plate better but still cannot read information.

Did you see the caveat “specifications subject to change without notice.” WL-1220VS spec sheet?

If were really interested might shoot off some emails, to each company for clarification. To me both lathes the same other than color!

--------------------
Bill

NCPaladin

#6502784 - 09/14/13 11:22 AM

This short article in layman's terms explains it.
This article is for AC but DC is very close I believe.
http://www.kevinsbrady.net/motors.pdf

You are right about Sears. My Nova lathe is 1.5 Hp; maybe I should buy this vac, swap the motor, and my lathe would then be 6.5 hp on a 120 circuit. Right.
http://www.sears.com/shop-vac-6.5-peak-h...mp;blockType=G1

I allways look at the amps and not at the mfg. HP rating.

--------------------

Wildwood

#6503053 - 09/14/13 05:58 PM

NCPaladin, if you check out ¾ HP 115V JWL 1220VS motor state 3.5 amps!
Are you absolutely sure seeing 8 amps vice 3.2? AMP’s will definitely differ between 110 & 115 Volts.

After all we are talking about made in China electrical motors.

--------------------
Bill

NCPaladin

#6503487 - 09/15/13 10:09 AM

Wildwood said:

NCPaladin, if you check out ¾ HP 115V JWL 1220VS motor state 3.5 amps!
Are you absolutely sure seeing 8 amps vice 3.2? AMP’s will definitely differ between 110 & 115 Volts.

I am not sure of anything. This is from research I did a few years ago. While the link is the best I found in layman’s terms one thing was consistent with every source; it takes 746 watts to generate 1 HP.
At 110V it takes 6.78 amps (746/110); at 115V it takes 6.49 amps. This is at 100% efficiency and most sources gave the average efficiency to be about 60-70%. Most all sources stated it took about 10 amps on 115 to generated 1 HP on AC. Most also stated DC motors were used where variable speed was need because they maintained torque better than AC motors at slower speed and tended to be on the higher end of efficiency. I have never found a chart for DC such as the link above for AC.
Given the real motor efficiency is unknown the amps required should give a good comparison. At least you can tell if the stated HP falls sorta within the norm.

--------------------

Wildwood

#6503707 - 09/15/13 03:33 PM

I am merely asking you where do you get 8 amps for that Baileigh mini lathe.

“To me there is another major difference, the one you are looking at states 8 amps (readable in the photo) and the HF spec sheet states 3.2 amps.”

Even with my best reading glasses can not read motor data plates on any posted lathe pictures.

Depending upon type of motor can find many answers based upon motor efficiency. Using simple HP times 746 = watts and Watts divided by volts = amps cannot even come up with either 8 or 3.2 amps. Given electric motor compliance standards for here and around the world certainly understand why my math not correct.

Baileigh wood lathes look so much like Grizzly and Laguna wood lathes can only guess made in the same factories.

Laguna just started selling a 10-16” ½ hp mini similar to Grizzly’s they list 3 amp vice 3.2 amp for their lathe on the spec sheet. Like Baileigh they do not always list amps on spec sheets.

http://www.lagunatools.com/lathes/Revo-10x16-Mini-Lathe#

--------------------
Bill

MichaelMouse

#6503747 - 09/15/13 04:18 PM

I can see the 8 A @ 90volts clearly. Did you enlarge with a click, then roll over the pic?

Seems a good 3/4 rating.

--------------------
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.

NCPaladin

#6503780 - 09/15/13 04:53 PM

Fourth picture, If you hover over it should enlarge. It actually shows volts at 90 and amps at 8.
That is still 720 watts (720/746) or .95 HP

At 110V it would take 6.78 amps at 100% efficiency to generate 1 HP. The 8 amp motor would be almost 85% efficiency and that is very good; that may have to do with it being a DC motor.
A 10 amp motor generating 1 HP would be 68% efficient or about what the article stated it should be.

I only brought it up because the OP asked “what is your opinion of its good points” and the things I found attractive was the larger spindle and the higher amps based on the specs. I should have kept quite since I do not have first-hand experience with one.

--------------------

RokJok

#6503894 - 09/15/13 07:28 PM

NCPaladin said:

I only brought it up because the OP asked “what is your opinion of its good points” and the things I found attractive was the larger spindle and the higher amps based on the specs.

Since my only lathe thus far is the Jet Mini with its 1" x 8 TPI spindle, is there a mechanical or other advantage to the 1.25" Baileigh spindle over the 1" spindle? TIA.

Quote:

I should have kept quite since I do not have first-hand experience with one.

As the OP, let me say that all input is much appreciated, since it helps me sort through some of the varying +'s and -'s of the various lathes out there. I find it all educational and thank all of you for the info you've so generously posted.

MichaelMouse

#6504070 - 09/16/13 04:02 AM

Only advantage to the larger spindle is if you own two lathes. The larger will likely have an larger spindle, so you can swap chucks rather than inserts.

--------------------
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.

Wildwood

#6504120 - 09/16/13 06:33 AM

Finally see what you folks are seeing same thing you folks see on data plate in fourth picture on Baileigh lathe if leave cursor over it long enough. Apologize for being a pinhead, looking at same lathes with same motors and data plates without seeing drove me crazy.

NCPaladin, apologize for not reading all specs completely missed larger spindle too.

Is the tool rest bigger too? Specs in G0658 manual list smaller size than Baileigh spec sheet! A beefier spindle and tool rest definitely plus features.

I have been wrong on so many levels will stop posting in this thread.

Please tell us how you make out with your new Baileigh lathe.

--------------------
Bill

RokJok

#6505063 - 09/17/13 12:03 AM

WW, thanks for the well-wishes. However, without having reverse, I will likely not get either the Griz or the Baileigh.

Although others feel that reverse is not needed, I am specifically looking for a reversible lathe for sanding. The hunt continues...

Arlin Eastman
Honored VeteranBronze Medal with Valor Purple Heart x2

Loc: Iowa, Mills County
      #6505881 - 09/17/13 04:36 PM

For just a little more you can get the new Jet. It seems that is far to much for that lathe.

Arlin

--------------------
It is always the right time, to do the right thing.

Hi, I'm Arlin's proud wife! His brain trma & meds-give memory probs and has pain from injuries, but all is well materially & financially.

Arlin Eastman
Honored VeteranBronze Medal with Valor Purple Heart x2

Loc: Iowa, Mills County
      #6505890 - 09/17/13 04:42 PM

Roc

I started off with the PSI lathe and now they have one bigger and better for a cheaper price then you have shown.

PSI Lathe

Arlin

--------------------
It is always the right time, to do the right thing.

Hi, I'm Arlin's proud wife! His brain trma & meds-give memory probs and has pain from injuries, but all is well materially & financially.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  WoodNet Manager, Vince, Joe Fisher, thooks, EightFingers, fivestring©™±, barnowl, Ruffturn®, meackerman, Bibliophile 13, Blacky's Boy, Grainraiser 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You can start new topics
      You can reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2725

Jump to

Contact Us | Contact the Moderators | Privacy Policy WoodNet Forums | WoodNet

UBB.threads™ 6.4.4