Hollowing tools
I have wanted to try my hand at a hollow form and had a thought about the tools to do so.I have made my own carbide tools and made handles for them.My question is could I make a bar and bend it myself? I could us round or square and bend it to shape.I know I cant afford a store bought tool so what do you guys think?
Well shama lamma ding dong to you too......
Many of the members in my wood turning club have made their own hollowing rigs, most of them based on Lyle Jamieson's design. That includes bending steel for curved bars. Mild steel can be bent easily if you can get it hot enough.
Steve K

I have never made them before but know a lot of guys here that have so I hope they help you out.

Arlin
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
I use a D-Way.
For the main reason of.....I don't want to design tools. I want to use a great tool, that doesn't break the bank due to a fancy name.

Scott (it works fine) B
I do have unlisted larger stock not listed on the website. We are always making new blanks, you should stop and take a look!
slabsblanksandboards
What Steve said.

As another option, you don't need curved tools for simple hollow-forms. A straight-shaft with an angled cutter will work up to a point - I've made some deep hollowing tools out of 1/2" steel round-bar with a 1/4" square HSS cutter mounted at a ~45 degree angle.

-Mark
If I had a signature, this wouldn't be it.
Ellsworth on Woodturning: How a Master Creates Bowls, Pots, and Vessels https://www.amazon.com/dp/1565233778/ref...3vbWJGA5AA

Get this book.
It is less than $20 and will show you how to make all the tools that you will need, as well as outlining the hollowing process.
Thank you for the idea's.Looks like I need to make a trip to the library and then the hardware store.
Well shama lamma ding dong to you too......
I've made several hollowing tools and live just a few miles away from you. (I even have a home-made laser-assisted hollowing rig which one of the guys in the local club says works as well or better than the commercial one he bought.) If you'd like to see them, drop me a line & I can bring them over or meet up somewhere for you to look at them. Really not all that difficult IMO.
"I'm glad being trapped in the woods hunted by an insane militia made you ask the big life questions."

Check out my Project Blog
Dartman, if you need HSS for bits, Enco is a great source ;

http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INPDFF?PMPAG...M=383-7055
I would go with flat stock. If the tool rolls while cutting, it can get ugly. At least it was when it happened to me.