A Request for the Group's Wisdom
I have completed only a few turning projects. My results have been acceptable but not great owing to a lack of skill but also to an inferior sharpening system. (Delta 30x1 stationary belt sander.) I'd like to have better outcomes but am undecided about what should be my next step. Some vendors of the new carbide tipped turning tools claim that no sharpening is needed - simply discard dull tips and replace.

May I ask for some opinions here? Should I invest in a grinder, better wheels and a jig/guide? If so, which ones? Or should I forego the sharpening gear and invest in some of the new carbide tipped tools? If so, which ones?

Thanks in advance,

Jon Erik
I don't have any carbide tipped tools, but it seems to me that they don't cover the spectrum of turning tools. I don't think there is really any substitute for a slow speed grinder and a proper sharpening tool rest.
I do have a few carbide tools I use for very specific applications. However, I agree with Frank. They are not a substitute for a properly sharpened gouge or skew and skill that goes along with practice. You can buy a decent grinder and sharpening jig for little more than the cost of a couple carbide tools. IMO, In the long run it's much better to learn to sharpen and learn how to use conventional cutting tools.
Steve K

If you want to be doing primarily spindle work, there is an awful lot that can be accomplished with just a roughing gouge and a skew, both of which should be able to be sharpened fairly easily on your current set up.

Though I have a basement full of tools that belies this advice, getting better results is more about developing an eye for forms and the patience, attention to detail and honest self-appraisal it takes to make pleasing ones. Someone with a good eye and a lousy tool will likely beat someone with a bad eye and the most expensive laser-guided cryo-powdered-steel tools.

For me, the uses of the carbide tools are more limited than the traditional tool/sharpener route, unless I were only interested in those projects where carbide is most useful, I would (and did) go traditional.
''How can we ever hope to understand atoms?'' Heisenberg had lamented that day.

''I think we may yet be able to do so,'' Bohr replied. ''But in the process we may have to learn what the word 'understanding' really means.''
The carbide tools are not a panacea. Get an inexpensive slow speed 8" grinder with the white wheels, and a Wolverine jig and start sharpening. Sharp tools and some mentoring will take you farther than carbid tools.

Doug
I would rather invest in a good sharpening set-up than carbide tools. The carbide tools are neat, but they're basically only teaching you to scrape.
I'm slow, but I do poor work.
My 4x36 belt sander works awesome for sharpening. Have an 8" slow speed grinder on the bench that hardly gets used because the sander gives a finer edge & doesn't take off as much metal.

If you want to try a carbide tool, why not make one? $8 for a 3' bar of cold roll steel from HD provides enough for 3 tools + ~$5 for the cutter bit from oella. If you have a hacksaw, sander, drill, tap, and can turn a spindle, you're all set. (I made one, then cut the end off & turned it into a different tool.)
"I'm glad being trapped in the woods hunted by an insane militia made you ask the big life questions."

Check out my Project Blog
Well, no matter what, you need a good sharpening station. I am not familiar with the belt sander you have, but there are plenty of turners who use the Sorby belt sander, and others have adapted different belt sanders for their tools. It could be that you need hands on instruction, and especially on sharpening. Find the nearest club. Most turners use an 8 inch slow speed grinder. There are a lot of jigs for gouges. I just use a platform for my sharpening, and then there are grinding wheels....

This may help a little:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDYdo1IoyRY

Yes, the carbide tipped tools are scrapers, and ain't nothing wrong with scrapers, I use them far more than most. I do have a bunch of other clips up on You Tube mostly about bowl turning.

robo hippy
Carbide cutters are great for timbers that eat HSS for breakfast such as african blackwood, desert ironwood, et al, but having a small diverse selection of basic tools will serve you better overall. A spindle roughing gouge, skew, bowl gouge, round nose scraper and diamond parting tool will do ~90% of what you need. I know some will recommend spindle gouge, but a bowl gouge will work almost as well if you are tight on cash.
Cellulose runs through my veins!
A properly sharpened HSS tool will almost always be sharper and leave a better surface than a carbide-tipped tool. Highly recommend a grinder and a Wolverine jig. I recommend both the standard Wolverine jig plus the vari-grind jig. Don't get the vari-grind 2. The vari-grind will help you sharpen your bowl and spindle gouges. For those of us who are freehand challenged, the vari-grind is a godsend.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill