Using steel wool on Lathe project
was watching a video by Brendan Stemp, and he used 0000 steel wool on a project after sanding with 400 grit.

I tried it, and wow... what a nice polish/finish.

Do you guys use steel wool too?
I don't use the 'steel' type, but the synthetic 'Scotch Brite' type pads. The steel can be left in and on the wood and later rust. Black walnut used to pick up a lot of steel fibers.

robo hippy
Yup. Compressed air is your friend after a magnetic collection. Closed pored wood a better choice than open. You really want sheen, rub it out with a grocery bag to heat and harden the surface.
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
I don't remember where I saw it but the guy used a couple handfuls of shavings to burnish the piece. I tried that and liked the results. I use it quite often. Does not work to good if you have an open void and no I did not try to. I think the same would be said about using steel wool with voids in the piece.
I don't use steel wool while the piece is turning. I like to rub the piece down with steel wool and wax as a final finish.
Rodney
I use it on a lot of woods but not Walnut, Oak or other woods high in Tennon. The steel wool will react with the chemical in those woods and give black stains in the woods.

Arlin
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
Steel wool and the plastic abrasive pads are both effective, though I generally use the 0000 steel wool. It works very well on hard timbers like african blackwood after I've sanded it down with 400 or 600 grit.

I also use it for smoothing out lacquer finishes on furniture or other projects.
Cellulose runs through my veins!
I use it between coats when finishing. Never thought about final sanding??? Got to try that!

Al
I turn, therefore I am!
I use 0000 on most every project. I have never notices any staining or reacting with the wood because the wood is dry.
I typically coat with shellac and then brurnish on the lathe with 0000. As someone mentioned, a handful of dry shavings brings the luster up even more.
If using it on a pen blank, be careful, sometimes the steel wool will get caught between the blank and the bushing and rip it out of your hand, don't want to get fingers wrapped around the steel wool. Scotch brite pads would be much better.

Mel
ABC(Anything But Crapsman)club member