Need advice - where to get a curved toolrest, for bowl making
I need one of those curved toolrests, so I can work on the inside of a bowl more easily.

The hassle of NOT having one, is too much.

Any recommendations from you guys?
Robust
I have the Robust and it is well made and sturdy. Before you drop a hundred bucks or so however you should know they are much more effective for scraper work than for working gouges. The tool post can get in the way and makes them unhandy at times.
At about the 13 minute mark, Lyle Jamieson shows a technique in this video that looks weird but works surprisingly well.

Lyle Jamieson
Steve K

I bought one of these S Curve and while it is good and stiff and has two threaded post holes, it is rather bulky and it would be nice to have something less bulky.
Cellulose runs through my veins!
+1. Just about every woodworking outlet sells them. Woodcraft and Craft Supplies USA, Packard Woodworks. You can even order them from Amazon. They make an inside and outside version.

Wipedout said:

Robust

Still Learning,

Allan Hill
AHill said:

+1. Just about every woodworking outlet sells them. Woodcraft and Craft Supplies USA, Packard Woodworks. You can even order them from Amazon. They make an inside and outside version.

[blockquote]Wipedout said:

Robust

[/blockquote]
+1

The ones (not Robust) with the threaded post seem to always try to unscrew at the wrong time for me.
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.
Thank you all for the responses. At this point, I am leaning towards getting the rest that SteveS has. it looks like the rest that will do the job the best. I'm making 6 to 8" outside diameter bowls, with about 3" of vertical wall and slightly convex.

SteveK, good video thank you. To be honest, that wouldn't work for me, my angles are a bit different and my tool rest isn't shaped like his, to do it.

Robust's "J" holder might not do the job as good as the holder SteveS suggests.

Thanks again guys. A power sander is next. I might as well order it as well.
Good heads-up about the post un-doing. I suspect now, that I will use lock tight to avoid that potential issue.
MidwestMan said:

Good heads-up about the post un-doing. I suspect now, that I will use lock tight to avoid that potential issue.

Haven't had an unscheduled unscrew in twenty years on mine. Since I don't use it around the outside, I suppose I could have added loctite. If it becomes a problem, I will.
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
Bought mine at Lee Valley.

Mel
ABC(Anything But Crapsman)club member