WoodNet Forums View Today's Active Woodworking Topics
View All Today's Active Topics
Woodsmith Library Online

Active >> Woodworking

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Next | (show all)
AnnieCod
Clem Kadiddlehopper

Why do you like woodworking? new
      #5801151 - 02/08/12 11:08 AM

Hi, I'm Annie. You may know me as Cape Cod's daughter. I'm a sophomore at Olin College of Engineering. Three fellow students and I would love to ask you some questions! We are working on a project where we choose and interact with a certain people group, chosen based upon some shared value or interest. Since we are all interested in woodworking, we chose woodworkers as our people group. We want to learn more about you!

The ultimate goal of the project is to serve as an introduction to the design process. We should eventually understand the life of a woodworker and determine opportunities to design new products to help the group pursue their passion more effectively, safely, or easily.
So, that being said, we want to learn more about you! We want to know everything there is to know! We'd love anything you would be willing to contribute. To spark some inspiration and give you an idea of what we're looking for:
  • What does it mean to you to be a woodworker?
  • Do you think there are varying categories of woodworkers?
  • What is your favorite part about your hobby?
  • Do you have a specialty? What is it and why do you like it?
  • Do you have a favorite piece that you have made? Would you be willing to post pictures and give background stories?

P.S. In order to get a wider range of responses, I'm posting this on several different forums with the permission of Mr. McReynolds.

--------------------
~Annie Cod

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
K. L, McReynolds
Honored Veteran

Loc: Kansas City, Kansas, USA
Re: Why do you like woodworking? new [Re: AnnieCod]
      #5801187 - 02/08/12 11:36 AM

What does it mean to you to be a woodworker?
Several things. I have learned more patience. I have learned to better design/measure. I can build things I could not build using metal.

Do you think there are varying categories of woodworkers?
Absolutely. But, the categories are a bit different that for other areas. Instead of amateur/journeyman/pro, there are hobbiests, dabblers, polished, and masters. And one person can be all of those things in different areas. The woodworker who is a master at making items in one area---chairs, for instance---could be polished at making tables---good but not the same level as their chairs. And a hobbiest at intarsia and dabble with turning.

What is your favorite part about your hobby?
The anticipation when starting a new project.

Do you have a specialty? What is it and why do you like it?
No. I do (did) professional work on houses, but am still very much learning shop type woodwork. I am fairly good at making picture frames---actually making the molding and making the finished frames.

Do you have a favorite piece that you have made? Would you be willing to post pictures and give background stories?
Probably the Gnarly Oak box I made using a board the sawyer from whom I get most of my wood was going to toss. It used an ugly piece of wood to make a pleasing object.

--------------------
I gotta quit asking "How stupid can you be?"

Too many people are making that their challenge.

Edited by K. L, McReynolds (02/08/12 12:47 PM)

lincmercguy
Part time combine pilot

Loc: Colorado
      #5801200 - 02/08/12 11:44 AM

I don't really take any special meaning in the word. It's another hobby for me, I like to build things, I like high-quality furniture, but I'm also cheap, so I build it myself.

Definitely. I'm an engineer by trade, so I take an engineering approach to woodworking.

The construction phase and the finished product. I'm not a big fan of the sanding/finishing phase.

Mission/Arts and Crafts style furniture, though I don't adhere to the styles. I bring a mix of aspects I like of each.

Do you have a favorite piece that you have made? Would you be willing to post pictures and give background stories?

I don't have a favorite piece in particular. I have things I like and things I don't like about each one. The project of most complexity is certainly a mobile kitchen island I built.

I have a blog site with the builds for projects I'm willing to admit to. It has many pictures of each project and a bit of background about each one. Some of them are just shop projects. Project Blog

--------------------
Project Blog Got it all up-to-date, and I promise to keep it up-to-date.

DANNYBOY
A twin to----er----nevermind

Loc: NE Ohio
      #5801229 - 02/08/12 11:57 AM

I like the creativity part most of all. I especially enjoy the rough lumber to something useful/beautiful aspect

.Do you think there are varying categories of woodworkers?
Definitely. Some folks are happy making birdhouses. Others make unbelievable works of art.

Mentioned above, rough-finished.

Not really

Prolly the kitchen I built for my sister and bil. They could have never afforded the kitchen I built for them. It came out nice, and was a rewarding project on many levels, and was greatly appreciated. Don't know how to post pics.

goaliedad

Loc: northwest Michigan
      #5801237 - 02/08/12 11:58 AM

Being a woodworker to me means that I use wood to create things- some useful, some whimsical, some a combination of each

There are many different categories
experience levels
types- some only turn things, some are hand tool only etc
some only make one type of thing
Not everyone that works with wood approach it the same way- and the end results are very, very different

For me the best part is taking a concept or idea to the end result. Seeing my idea or vison become a reality

I guess my specialty is repurposing things. I started making adiornack chairs from water skis- this was at the request of my daughter, and who can say no to their daughter? I have since expanded to downhill skis, snow boards and am looking at wine barrels next.

I have many favorites, each for a different reason.
Noah's ark. The first was made for our son. I have since made some for a good friend's grand childern. One quickly became 3- seems that 3 of his four daughters all blessed him with grand babies about the same time. The fourth and final one was delivered a while ago. I also made one for my cousin when they adopted a little girl and named her for my mother. [image][/image]

I recently made a chair using downhill skis- and crutches. This was made for a fund raiser sponsored by our local Goodwill. The idea was to use items bought form the Goodwill store- The ReInvention Convention. [image][/image]

I hope this helps you with your project. Good luck!

--------------------
Ignorance is bliss. stated by Estrogen Hostage

fishhh4

Loc: markleysburg Pa.
Re: Why do you like woodworking? new [Re: DANNYBOY]
      #5801271 - 02/08/12 12:14 PM

I like the creativity part most of all. I especially enjoy the rough lumber to something useful/beautiful aspect

.Do you think there are varying categories of woodworkers?
Definitely. Some folks are happy making birdhouses. Others make unbelievable works of art.

Mentioned above, rough-finished.

Not really

Prolly the kitchen I built for my friend. They could certianly afford the kitchen I built for them. It came out nice, and was a rewarding project on many levels, and was greatly appreciated.

Thanks danny i hate to type.(one finger jabber)

picture:

My friend Dave in background

--------------------
if it can't kill you it probably ain't no good. better living through chemicals.

I know what you mean about making hook-ups in the half-dark.
Typed on Droid sorry.

MeanGene

Loc: Rochester Hills, MI
      #5801276 - 02/08/12 12:16 PM

What does it mean to you to be a woodworker? I work at a computer all day. WW allows me to use my hands to create things that provide hard evidence of my effort.

Do you think there are varying categories of woodworkers? Yes, turners, neanderthals (hand tool users), and scrollers are a few of the many categories.

What is your favorite part about your hobby? I give most of my work away as gifts. I try to make things that will be mean something to the person and allow them to use it and cherish it for many years.

Do you have a specialty? What is it and why do you like it? Not really. I enjoy learning new skills and challenging myself,

Do you have a favorite piece that you have made? I recently made a raised panel toybox with intarsia animals for my granddaughter for Xmas. I made her a unique rocking horse last year.

Would you be willing to post pictures and give background stories? Certainly. I have posted pictures of many projects on Woodnet.

Edited by MeanGene (02/08/12 12:26 PM)

Cian
Maxed out Honored Member

Loc: DuPage County, Illinois
      #5801285 - 02/08/12 12:21 PM

I don't think I label myself as a woodworker necessarily. It's just one of the things I enjoy doing in my free time along with my other hobbies (cycling, photography, camping, fishing, etc.). Woodworking sprung from my DIY aspirations. I've always wanted a workshop (reflections of my DIY father) from which to plan and originate household projects. After discovering this forum, the workshop idea eventually morphed into a woodshop (after applying thousands $$$. LOL.).

Absolutely. Not only in skill level, but commitment -hobbiest vs professional, hand vs power, small vs large pieces, built-in vs stand alone furniture. Etc.

It's the quiet time. I do enjoy the creative process, the smell of the wood, working with my hands, seeing the end product, the smiles on the faces of the recipients... It's all good. If you were to ask about the LEAST favorite part, it would be the realization that you have to be an accomplished electrician as well as machinist to properly setup a woodshop and setup/use the many power tool options. And then there's the time needed to acquire a minor collegiate degree in Industrial History to properly identify and use all the available vintage (and modern day equivalent) hand tools. And oh yeah - wood dust - hate it.

I prefer Shaker or Art & Crafts. I like the simpler lines of these styles.

Not really. I don't have a lot of free time, and nearly all my projects to this point were shop or house/DIY centric. The last time I finished something were these about a year ago. They are rolling carts for my shop.

If I had to nominate something that I felt most rewarding to make, it would be these below. I make crosses throughout the year for each of the Baptism recipients at my church. I think the neat thing about these is that I don't sign them and my church (aside from the pastor) has no idea where they come from. They just happen to show up on each chair of the Baptismees on the particular Sunday:

--------------------
The Neanderthal Index and The Power Index

Edited by K. L, McReynolds (05/10/13 11:04 AM)

daveferg

Loc: Cloverdale, CA, USA
      #5801290 - 02/08/12 12:24 PM

Good luck on your project.

**What does it mean to you to be a woodworker?

With many things in life, we don't always see the rewards or fruits of our labors. In woodworking, I love the satisfaction of making something myself and knowing my efforts will be rewarded.

**Do you think there are varying categories of woodworkers?

Certainly. In addition to those who like to build furniture, there are some who do noting but carving; others enamored with scroll saw work; and most certainly an almost entirely separate division--there are wood turners.

**What is your favorite part about your hobby?

While I may start out with a set of published plans, I rarely stick with them exclusively. I enjoy just about everything from the design stage to the final assembly. While sanding can be boring, the least liked phase is finishing---first because you can muck up all your hard work and secondly---it doesn't hold the same interest for me.

But, if I had to state one general like about woodworking, it would be that I get a real kick out of taking a pile of wood and turning it into a usable project.

**Do you have a specialty? What is it and why do you like it?

No specialty. I've been doing a lot of arts and crafts pieces of late, but that's only because the pieces have been for my living room where I've tried to mainly stay with the same type of design.

**Do you have a favorite piece that you have made? Would you be willing to post pictures and give background stories?

Don't really have a favorite, but the most recent pieces are based on some Stickley designs. Unlike most A&C pieces, they have splayed legs---I liked that for the uniqueness and for the challenge.

[image][/image]

This was first and my wife liked it so much she wanted a matching coffee table.

[image][/image]

--------------------
Dave

Bill Wilson
This is Your Life...and we bet it will be a really good one because he works hard and really, really

Loc: S.Western PA
Re: Why do you like woodworking? [Re: AnnieCod]
      #5801291 - 02/08/12 12:25 PM

Hi Annie. I think this is a pretty cool project you are undertaking and thanks for taking this interest in the thoughts, motivations and inspirations of woodworkers.

Woodworking to me means a bit of self reliance. It kind of hearkens back to a time when our forefathers built their own homes, made their own furniture & clothes, hunted and grew their own food, etc. I admire that kind of pioneer spirit and even though I can't/don't do most of that stuff, woodworking gives me the satisfaction of having that little connection with my ancestors.

I think woodworkers can be identified in several different ways, based on their skill level as well as their chosen field of specialization. One can be a novice turner or a master cabinet maker, or both and the one thing we share is our love of wood and making sawdust. That's kind of cool.

I like building stuff. I started out as a carpenter, building houses many years ago. I really enjoyed that. I used to think I would do that until I retired. A lot of other things prevented that from happening, but I can still feed that desire to turn a board into something useable. The part I like most in woodworking is, once all the prep, milling, sanding, etc has been done, I get to put all the parts together and see how it turns out. That's when the project really comes alive for me. I believe that is a remnant of my carpentry days.

It's been unintentional, but I would probably say that scrolling has become my specialty. I don't do it exclusively, but it's probably more fun than anything else I do. Most of the woodworking I've done over the years has had a practial purpose. I'm making stuff to use or for others to use. I like scrolling because I can make stuff that may be functional, but more often it's something that's purely decorative, unique and perhaps a little impractical. Most of the stuff I make, I give away, so it's very gratifying to see the reactions of the recipients.

It's hard to pick a favorite, because one of the advantages of being a hobbiest is that I can make stuff I want to and I'm not usually captive to someone else's needs. This means that most of the stuff I've made, I've done so because it interested me. I don't have very many digital pictures of my work. This is the only thread I ever posted with any pics of something I built.

TV Stand

It was a wedding present for my youngest daughter last summer. I'm probably most proud of it, because it represents a bit of a stretch for me. I hadn't tackled anything quite like this before and it turned out really well. Of course my daughter was pleased with it and shows if off to everyone who visits her home. I also made a couple items for my older daughter's home that I'm pretty pleased with, but no digital pics. Her wedding present was a 3 sided corner curio cabinet with a clock, glass shelves, mirrored sides. Then a couple years later I built her fireplace mantle surround when they moved into a new house. It's made with cherry that was once trees on her grandfather's farm. I designed it from scratch and added a couple personal touches that make it pretty special. It's the focal point of her living room and she tells visitors that she can never move out of that house, because she couldn't bear to leave that mantle behind.

--------------------
No one ever worked so hard that milk squirted out their nose.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Next | (show all)
PlansNOW: Get Project Plans from Woodsmith Magazine

Extra information
1 registered and 6 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Gene P, Vince, WoodNet Manager, fivestring©™±, thooks, EightFingers, Joe Fisher, barnowl, Ruffturn®, meackerman, Bibliophile 13, Blacky's Boy, Grainraiser 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 13634

Jump to

Contact Us | Contact the Moderators | Privacy Policy WoodNet Forums | WoodNet

UBB.threads™ 6.4.4