Finished my tool box
Wow, that really looks GREAT!!!

I also liked the painted exterior, natural interior look.
See ya around,
Dominic
------------------------------
Don't you love it when you ask someone what time it is and to prove how smart they are, they tell you how to build a watch?
Quote:

There is something about the look of clear finished secondary woods inside a painted exterior that I love.

Me too. Really brings out the warmth of the wood.

Also love the look of the hardware. You mentioned a blacksmith on your blog, did he create the hinges and handle? Or are they a "found" product? They seem "old" with that patina.
~Dan.
Thanks for all the nice comments folks. I used a siam seedlac shellac on the interior. I really like the color it gave the cherry. Almost an instant patina.

My goal was to make the box look old, hence the rusty hardware. The hinges are from Lee Valley and are made with the rusty patina. The chest lifts are from the Borg, as that was all I could find. I removed the zinc plating and rusted them along with the screw heads. I gave the brass hooks a bit of aging also, by removing the clear coat, soaking in a solution of salt and vinegar and then heating in the oven for a while. That was about a month ago and they are turning a nice green and pinkish color. I expect they will improve with age.

The sides are rabbited and nailed with cut nails, T&G bottom is nailed on, and the till runners and till bottoms are also nailed on.

The saw till is about 4 1/2" wide by 7' tall. I left an extra 1/4" on each side as I had intended to put rails on both sides, but in the end only put them on the outboard side. The kerfs are equally spaced at about 9/16". This gives just enough room to clear saw nuts and medallions. I will have to be careful putting saws away, but I felt space was at a premium.

I have not yet filled it with tools, will probably do that tonight. Maybe I will take a few pics!

The only think I'm bummed out about is that my shop is so small the tool box will have to live in the shed! I will get to use in two weeks as I am co-instructing a Krenov style plane making class for the local club.

Thanks for looking
Jonathan

I only regret the tools I didn't buy!

“Think about it: Everything with a power cord eventually winds up in the trash.” John Sarge
Very nice looking toolbox. Aged outside and beautiful interior.
Excellent! I love to see the creative extension of ideas. Well done sir!
Thanks,  Curt
-----------------
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards."
      -- Soren Kierkegaard
Oh I like that, great job.

Thanks for sharing !

Steve
Jonathan-

Is that black milk paint with some sort of top coat? Someone posted pictures of a miniature tool chest a while back with black over red milk paint. Milk paint makes a very attractive finish for a chest.

Phil
That is beautiful!
Peter

My "day job"
Congratulations on producing such a superb toolbox Jonathan. The workmanship is outstanding. I am sure you and your family will cherish it for many years.

James
Love it. I've been eyeing that Stanley tool box for quite a while. I too don't think the handle on the Stanley is enough to hold it up when full of tools. Good idea on the two end handles.

I've been thinking for mine that I would try to stow my saws on the inside of the covers. Chisels too, maybe. Just a thought for now.

Carl