View All Today's Active Topics
Woodsmith Library Online

Active >> Home Improvement

Pages: 1
paulmaine

Loc: Camden, Maine
Basement Leak at Base of Foundation
      #6386551 - 05/25/13 09:46 PM

The basement foundation developed a leak at the floor- six feet below ground. Poured foundation 15 years old. One weeks rain here-really wet. The water is coming out in a slow leak perhaps several quarts an hour. This is also at a point where a small crack from the corner of the cellar window leads down to the floor;first leak issue. Will a special hydraulic cement fix this or?
Thanks,
Paul

--------------------
Paul from the beautiful mid-coast of Maine (USA)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
theeviltwinn
No Action Here but not for lack of trying

Loc: Royersford Pa
Re: Basement Leak at Base of Foundation new [Re: paulmaine]
      #6386558 - 05/25/13 09:57 PM

It might work. It might not. It isn't the proper way to fix it but it is an easy and inexpensive thing to try.

You say the leak just started. Has the grading around the house changed? Getting water away from the house is better than trying to stop it once it is there.

--------------------
Will post for food.

Lynden

Loc: So. California
      #6386586 - 05/25/13 11:26 PM

One wall of my garage is a retaining wall, and I have the same problem when it rains a lot in the span of a few days. I used Thoro Waterplug in the wall cracks, but I haven't been able to completely stop the leak where the slab meets the wall.

http://www.thoroproducts.com/pdf_info/waterplug_sellSheet.pdf

MichaelMouse

Re: Basement Leak at Base of Foundation new [Re: theeviltwinn]
      #6386625 - 05/26/13 05:18 AM

theeviltwinn said:

It might work. It might not. It isn't the proper way to fix it but it is an easy and inexpensive thing to try.

You say the leak just started. Has the grading around the house changed? Getting water away from the house is better than trying to stop it once it is there.

That's the way to start, cheapest to most expensive method. Spring runoff and spring rain have raised the water table, so waiting for dry and pumping the repair into the crack has good potential.

A simple homeowner project to escalate to a sump insert and pump, but something I'd rather avoid.

--------------------
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.

paulmaine

#6386639 - 05/26/13 06:44 AM

The grading has not changed-It just rained and rained for a week. It measured three gallons overnight-may have slowed.
Thanks-

--------------------

paulmaine

#6386899 - 05/26/13 11:28 AM

I put Drylock Fastplug hydraulic cement in the crack after an easy preparation: mix 1 part water to 3 parts powder-apply within about 3 minutes. Do an easy chisel out on the crack as prep.Works like a miracle. I added a black 4 inch flexible extension pipe to the drainpipe. May put black plastic near the house to aid in water runoff. Hope this works long term.

--------------------

mike4244

Loc: mays landing nj
      #6387501 - 05/26/13 11:52 PM

Not unusual to get a small leak after a week of rain. The hydryaulic cement will probably work.You might want to widen the crack before filling it. If the crack is narrow,less than 1/8" and you want to try filling the crack without widening it, make the mix thin and push it in with a putty knife. Stay with it for 10 minutes because you may have to keep pushing a thin mix back in the crack. A thick mix will only fill the top 1/4" at most.After 10 minutes the mix will be partly set.
mike

Pages: 1

Extra information
1 registered and 0 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Gene P, Vince, WoodNet Manager, thooks, EightFingers, fivestring©™±, Joe Fisher, Ruffturn®, meackerman, barnowl, Bibliophile 13, Blacky's Boy, Grainraiser 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 551

Jump to

Contact Us | Contact the Moderators | Privacy Policy WoodNet Forums | WoodNet

UBB.threads™ 6.4.4