View All Today's Active Topics
Woodsmith Library Online

Active >> Woodworking Hand Tools

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next | (show all)
David Cockey

Loc: Southeast Michigan
Lie-Nielsen Honing Guide - July??
      #6401669 - 06/10/13 12:11 PM

From Furniture & cabinetmaking June 2013 issue; Geoffrey Laycock's report on visit to Lie-Nielsen/Axminister tool event on Friday, March 8 at which Deneb Puchalski was demonstrating:

One sneak preview was of a blade sharpening jig from Lie-Nielsen around July. Based on the old Eclipse design this should take blades up to 60mm wide and also down to narrow chisels and skew chisels. Excellent though the Eclipse was, problems with holding narrow blades and how the register have been addressed and this promises to be a highly useful new tool, probably in stainless steel.

I didn't see any evidence of a new honing guide in the LN display at Handworks, and Deneb was using a Eclipse guide in his demonstrations.

Tom Lie-Nielsen has previously mentioned working on a honing guide but not being able to get the cost down to a level where it would be economically feasible.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Martin S.
Honored Veteran

Loc: 777 Right Seat
Re: Lie-Nielsen Honing Guide - July?? new [Re: David Cockey]
      #6401756 - 06/10/13 01:42 PM

They've been "working on" that new jig since at least 2007!

--------------------
...Naval Aviators, that had balz made of brass and the size of bowling balls, getting shot off the deck at night, in heavy seas, hoping that when they leave the deck that the ship is pointed towards the sky and not the water.

AD1 T. O. Cronkhite

AndyM

Loc: West Linn, Oregon
      #6401828 - 06/10/13 03:26 PM

I hope so. There is a real need in the market for a quality
Eclipse type guide. I realize you can work on one of the existing ones to make it better, but you shouldn't have to.

--------------------
Andy Margeson
My blog

Mike Brady

Loc: Batavia, IL
Re: Lie-Nielsen Honing Guide - July?? new [Re: AndyM]
      #6401863 - 06/10/13 03:52 PM

The real (vintage) Eclipse-brand guides are very nice pieces. I have managed to acquire three different ones over the years. They attempted to improve the design for handling narrow blades as well, and did pretty well. Maybe I could snap some pics of the several I have to show the differences.

--------------------
Help stamp out "galoot" and "neander" in our time.

AHill
Honored Veteran

Loc: Antelope Valley, California
      #6401930 - 06/10/13 04:44 PM

For it to be a success, the guide would need to be significantly less expensive than the Veritas Mk II guide, which is a very, very good guide that has more features than an Eclipse style guide. I would guess to be competitive with the Mk II, the LN guide should sell around $25-30. Since Eclipse style guides are cheap as dirt, and can be modified to work better (see Deneb's LN YouTube video on the how-to's), it'll have to be significantly better than the current crop of Eclipse style guides.

--------------------
Still Learning,

Allan Hill

Steve Friedman

Loc: New Jersey
Re: Lie-Nielsen Honing Guide - July?? new [Re: AHill]
      #6401968 - 06/10/13 05:45 PM

AHill said:

For it to be a success, the guide would need to be significantly less expensive than the Veritas Mk II guide, which is a very, very good guide that has more features than an Eclipse style guide. I would guess to be competitive with the Mk II, the LN guide should sell around $25-30. Since Eclipse style guides are cheap as dirt, and can be modified to work better (see Deneb's LN YouTube video on the how-to's), it'll have to be significantly better than the current crop of Eclipse style guides.

I saw a prototype of the honing guide when I was at Lie-Nielsen last summer and it was pretty robust. Definitely not intended to compete with the Eclipse knock-offs. I doubt Lie-Nielsen would invest that much time and money just to manufacture a $25 or $30 guide and fully expect it to be at least as expensive as the Veritas Mk II, which with the camber roller and skew registration jig is around $120.

Steve

Mike Brady

Re: Lie-Nielsen Honing Guide - July?? new [Re: Steve Friedman]
      #6401998 - 06/10/13 06:28 PM

I forgot to add that I too have waited years for the much- promised LN honing guide. There have been prototypes shown in Warren, but I have heard nothing recently until the OP, above. If they make one, it will be robust and probably not cheap. My inkling is that it will be a side-clamping style jig that would overcome one serious shortcoming of the Veritas Mk.II.

--------------------

David Cockey

Loc: Southeast Michigan
Re: Lie-Nielsen Honing Guide - July?? new [Re: AHill]
      #6402006 - 06/10/13 06:39 PM

AHill said:

I have a Vertias Mk I, a Veritas Mk II including the camber roller, and an Eclipse imitation (currently sold by LN, LV and others). I usually use the Eclipse imitation unless I'm sharpening a blade which is tapered in width, sharpening at a skew angle, or some other configuration for which the Eclipse imitation doesn't work. I find the Eclipse imitation quicker to use and there is no tendency for the blade to rotate.

For most of my sharpening I don't find the "more features" of the Veritas Mk II to be an advantage.

I'm interested in an improved Eclipse which is stiffer but whether I'd buy one depends on exactly what it is and the price.

shoottmx
Honored Veteran

Loc: Mid Coast Maine
      #6402128 - 06/10/13 09:25 PM

Deneb demonstrated a prototype at his Hand Tools Demystified workshop in Warren earlier this month. It is machined out of steel and is robust to say the least. It will have interchangeable jaws for straight blades or left or right skew blades. He was talking September for production IIRC. Projected cost for the jig is $75. Don't think he mentioned a price for the skew adapters.

g

--------------------
I've only had one...in dog beers.

Mike Brady

Re: Lie-Nielsen Honing Guide - July?? new [Re: shoottmx]
      #6403485 - 06/12/13 08:48 AM

Looks like there will be another tool design from Brian Boggs for use in chairmaking. He refers to a new travisher, made by Lie-Nielsen, in his newsletter.

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next | (show all)
PlansNOW: Get Project Plans from Woodsmith Magazine

Extra information
1 registered and 9 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  WoodNet Manager, Gene P, Vince, thooks, EightFingers, fivestring©™±, Joe Fisher, barnowl, Ruffturn®, meackerman, Bibliophile 13, Blacky's Boy, Grainraiser 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2354

Jump to

Contact Us | Contact the Moderators | Privacy Policy WoodNet Forums | WoodNet

UBB.threads™ 6.4.4