View All Today's Active Topics
Woodsmith Library Online

Active >> Woodworking

Pages: 1
ebenister

Loc: Quebec, Canada
Full extension table to the left or to the right
      #6412160 - 06/20/13 09:17 PM

Hello I am in the process of building an extension table for my new used 3hp saw very excited. My question is I'm thinking of putting the extension on the left side and saw tilts right. It just seems to feel more natural this way, I've used a sled before but it just never felt right. Has anyone done this? Any pictures or articles I can check out? Pros and cons etc. I understand it can be a preference but just wondering what real life experience was.

This is actually a way of having the same setup as a left tilt saw but as a mirror ( someone mentioned it to me) . Oh by the way I am a converted natural lefty.

Thanks for any comments you can

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Steve N

Loc: CinDay
Re: Full extension table to the left or to the right new [Re: ebenister]
      #6412218 - 06/20/13 10:56 PM

I have 2 seriously left handed friends who have their TS`s set up to the left, both also with right tilt saws. On 90`s there isnt a benefit, but it allows for wider stock on a beveled cut with the offcut going safely to the side of the blade. Both of them work to the right of the blade. That I assume is a byproduct of their left handedness.

--------------------
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW

jteneyck

Loc: Western NY
      #6412384 - 06/21/13 08:11 AM

I'm right handed, so I prefer to rip on the right and crosscut on the left. Because of that, I built an extension table on the left side of my first TS that supported my big crosscut sled and allowed me to rip the occasional piece of stock too wide for the right side. That was a left tilt saw. Presently, I have two saws side by side, a right tilt and a left tilt with one rip fence covering both saws. Each serves as an extension table for the other, and I like this arrangement a lot.

John

daveferg

Loc: Cloverdale, CA, USA
      #6412642 - 06/21/13 11:37 AM

I've been in loads of discussions of left vs. right tilt here on WN. When you think about it, the only issue with a right tilt is bevel ripping to the right side of the blade----just how often do any of use do this? I sure don't.

I have my extension to the right of the saw---and I'm also a lefty. But, a true lefty has learned to adopt to the right handed world a long time ago.

Rather than plan this out by dominant hand, why not just look at your shop configuration and see which side of the saw the extension table would be most useful.

I would also add---by no means stop with the extension table----a good outfeed table is WAY more important to good ww'ing and your safety.

--------------------
Dave

JGrout

Loc: Axial CO
      #6412651 - 06/21/13 11:49 AM

leave your extension table to the right of the blade. much simpler for 99% of your cuts

For the occasional time you need to bevel rip on a RT saw build this standoff fence for all your bevel cutting needs It works like a charm and is quite safe to use.

--------------------
Having stuck my hand in machines and having fingers re-attached... I can assure you, safety usually isn't a primary concern of mine.. Fred Kingston 9/20/2013

jteneyck

Loc: Western NY
Re: Full extension table to the left or to the right new [Re: daveferg]
      #6412685 - 06/21/13 12:21 PM

daveferg said:

Rather than plan this out by dominant hand, why not just look at your shop configuration and see which side of the saw the extension table would be most useful.

I would also add---by no means stop with the extension table----a good outfeed table is WAY more important to good ww'ing and your safety.

This is exactly how I ended up putting an extension on the left side of my first TS. There just wasn't enough room to rip wide pieces any other way. And an outfeed table, as Dave said, is really important, no matter which side you put an extension table.

John

Lynford in Reno

Loc: Reno NV
      #6413169 - 06/21/13 09:58 PM

Unless you intend to pour that extension in concrete with rebar, build it on the left. If that doesn't work after a couple months, remove that one and make another on the right side. It may be a PITA but no big deal. Just watch your hands and stay safe with each cut.

--------------------
Cheers ...

Lyn Disbrow: Born in America ... a long long time ago

ebenister

Loc: Quebec, Canada
Re: Full extension table to the left or to the right new [Re: Lynford in Reno]
      #6413623 - 06/22/13 02:02 PM

Thanks for the feedback everyone.will probably stay mainstream to the right just in case someone who can't handle the left has to use it for one cut.

Pages: 1
PlansNOW: Get Project Plans from Woodsmith Magazine

Extra information
1 registered and 20 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Gene P, Vince, WoodNet Manager, fivestring©™±, thooks, EightFingers, Joe Fisher, barnowl, Ruffturn®, meackerman, Bibliophile 13, Blacky's Boy, Grainraiser 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 807

Jump to

Contact Us | Contact the Moderators | Privacy Policy WoodNet Forums | WoodNet

UBB.threads™ 6.4.4