View All Today's Active Topics
Woodsmith Library Online

Active >> Woodworking Hand Tools

Pages: 1
TGW

Loc: Finland
Stanley 444 dovetail plane
      #6480330 - 08/25/13 03:04 AM

I recently bought a Stanley 444 dovetail plane at a flea market. I thought it would be an upgrade from the wooden dovetail plane i have. It seems to be complete with the box of cutters and the sole widening pieces and everything. Hardly used at all it seems. Some slight surface rust in places and some screws that are stuck but will free up easily with some CRC.
However I am completely clueless about how to use this thing. I cannot figure it out on my own. I have tried to find information on the internet but the only informaition I have found describes it as a fairly impractical plane that makes collectors go wild.
I am a part time carpenter part time joiner doing mostly restoration work and have no interrest in collectibles.
So.... what should I do with this thing?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pablo

Loc: gilroy,CA USA
Re: Stanley 444 dovetail plane new [Re: TGW]
      #6480333 - 08/25/13 04:03 AM

https://www.google.com/search?q=stanley+...p;client=safari

The link above may help to inform you; and possibly elicit a few laughs.

TGW

Re: Stanley 444 dovetail plane new [Re: Pablo]
      #6480337 - 08/25/13 05:17 AM

Thanks
I have looked at the link and found some information on how it is used.
However there seems to be a wide array of different oppinions about it's usefulness to say the least. Though few of them based on any real experience in production.

I think I should test it out myself but at the same time I am scared of destroying parts of the collector's value when cleaning it and sharpening the seemingly unsharpened cutters. In case it does not perform to my standards and I want to sell it to someone who would better appreciate it as a collector's item. I did not foresee this kind of trouble when I bought it with only a user's perspective.

Edited by TGW (08/25/13 05:24 AM)

JimReed@Tallahassee
Orphaned Plane Doctor

Re: Stanley 444 dovetail plane new [Re: TGW]
      #6483357 - 08/27/13 08:19 PM

I acquired a few 444s with the same intention. After hours of frustration, I gave up. It is a true collector's item.

If you want to make sliding dovetail joints, get yourself a German Ulmia or other woodie. They work great for long crossgrained male dovetails. Then use your (powered--sorry) router for the female part.

Sliding dovetails are great--can't say the same for the 444. Good luck with yours.

TGW

Re: Stanley 444 dovetail plane new [Re: JimReed@Tallahassee]
      #6486284 - 08/30/13 02:25 AM

Thanks Jim

I already have a decent wooden dovetail plane but somehow I hoped that the Stanley would be better.

If I get a reasonable price for the 444 I will sell it and invest the money in some other tool I need.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 6 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  WoodNet Manager, Gene P, Vince, thooks, EightFingers, fivestring©™±, Joe Fisher, barnowl, Ruffturn®, meackerman, Bibliophile 13, Blacky's Boy, Grainraiser 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1071

Jump to

Contact Us | Contact the Moderators | Privacy Policy WoodNet Forums | WoodNet

UBB.threads™ 6.4.4