WoodNet Forums View Today's Active Woodworking Topics
View All Today's Active Topics
Woodsmith Library Online

Active >> Home Improvement

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Terry W

Re: Anyone built a deck with Ipe Decking? new [Re: DallasStarter]
      #6518279 - 09/30/13 07:04 AM

I've built with both IPE and Trex. Trex is easier and cheaper but IPE looks so much better. If you go with IPE I recommend using stainless finish head screws to fasten them down. Like everyone has already mentioned all the holes have to be pre-drilled. Buy a lot of 1/8" bits because you'll need them. Also be prepared to get splinters. IPE is prone to them. When I was done, my hands looked like I was juggling porcupines so get everyone on your crew a nice set of gloves

--------------------
Telling a man he has too many tools,
is like telling a woman she has too many shoes.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Tear out

Loc: West Des Moines, Iowa
Re: Anyone built a deck with Ipe Decking? new [Re: Terry W]
      #6518938 - 09/30/13 02:02 PM

I recovered my deck framing with ipe about three years ago. It was much more labor intensive than I expected. I had to have my wife help out to hand me things to speed the process along.

I face screwed the boards down using 3" long stainless steel finish screws. The heads are so small, they almost disappear on the deck.

I was concerned about a uniform fastening pattern (instead of lines of screws zig-zagging over the expensive boards). I made a jig that was used for every screw hole, so that all screws would be the same distance from the edge of board.

The jig was a short piece of scrap 1x6 (matching the deck board width) with another scrap glued to the edge. The screw hole locations were pre-drilled in the 1x6 scrap.

Drilling and installing each screw was a three step process, using a different drill (to save time) set up for each step:
1) Align jig on deck board, locating holes along center of joist, and predrill the counterbore using a 3/16" diameter bit. A depth collar on the bit stopped the bit at the same elevation. This hole was the countersink for the screw head, maybe just a shade over 1/8" deep in the deck board. I did not want any screws sunk too far, or sticking up too much.
2) Remove jig and predrill for the deck screw through the ipe only.
3) Drive screw.

3 steps for each screw was tedious, but it looks very neat and I would do it the same way again.

My boards were straight enough that I did not have to fight to straighten them.

--------------------
Steve

ferrari
TOTAL Noob

Loc: Kansas
Re: Anyone built a deck with Ipe Decking? new [Re: Tear out]
      #6518995 - 09/30/13 03:02 PM

If you guys with ipe decks could post a couple pics it would be appreciated.

daveferg

Loc: Cloverdale, CA, USA
Re: Anyone built a deck with Ipe Decking? new [Re: Tear out]
      #6519216 - 09/30/13 05:24 PM

Seems everyone has mentioned how labor-intensive ipe is and how it chews up bits and saw blades. No question about that. BUT, the other side to this is when you're done, you'll have a deck that will wear like iron; that you'll never have to worry about refinishing; that you'll only have to occaisionally have to clean---those are big pluses.

And as to having curved boards, I've never installed ipe, but curved boards are nothing new to the redwood deck or the oak hardwood flooring I've installed, and there are ways to deal with both by wedging/levering the board into place, or cutting the board at the peak of the crown. Those who have installed pie---do these methods work?

--------------------
Dave

Anak
Stranger

Loc: In a strange land
Re: Anyone built a deck with Ipe Decking? new [Re: daveferg]
      #6519491 - 09/30/13 11:29 PM

Add one more for face screwing.

I know a very skilled local woodworker who put in an Ipe deck on his own home using the side clip system. He has a depressingly high number of cupped boards on his deck. Sadly, the deck sticks out like a sore thumb against some of the gorgeous woodworking he has in his home.

My two cents.

--------------------
Every decision you make can be viewed as a choice between comfort and opportunity.

Just when we start having fun they send in the lawyers.

CARYinWA

Loc: camas, WA
Re: Anyone built a deck with Ipe Decking? new [Re: ferrari]
      #6522403 - 10/03/13 06:44 AM

I just got done using the Camo system on my deck(~500 sqft) covered with Trex. I have no complaints.

--------------------
"There is no such thing as stupid questions, just stupid people"

ferrari
TOTAL Noob

Loc: Kansas
Re: Anyone built a deck with Ipe Decking? new [Re: CARYinWA]
      #6522647 - 10/03/13 09:42 AM

Good to hear.

I have a friend that will be recovering his in the near future and really trying to get him to try it.

DallasStarter

Loc: Dallas, TX
Re: Anyone built a deck with Ipe Decking? new [Re: CARYinWA]
      #6523149 - 10/03/13 02:19 PM

CARYinWA said:

I just got done using the Camo system on my deck(~500 sqft) covered with Trex. I have no complaints.

Did it seem like they were able to grab enough material in that diagonal/toenail orientation that they would be able to resist splitting under movement stress? All this hearty endorsement of face-screwing has me skittish! I definitely have no intention of using the clips with the slots - it's going to be Camo or face screwing with SS screws from McFeely's. Just a question of which.

Thanks!

Reed

--------------------
You don't need a parachute to go skydiving unless you want to do it more than once. . .

CARYinWA

Loc: camas, WA
Re: Anyone built a deck with Ipe Decking? [Re: DallasStarter]
      #6525077 - 10/05/13 09:22 AM

I will put it like this. I had to remove a board on a joist that I could not back out the screws. It was a fight to get it removed.

--------------------
"There is no such thing as stupid questions, just stupid people"

Bob10
Sir Member

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area
Re: Anyone built a deck with Ipe Decking? new [Re: DallasStarter]
      #6525140 - 10/05/13 10:39 AM

I don't know what goes on with trex but with Ipe and stainless screws they are similar to rivets IME one time application and removal usually involves much more than reversing the install process. The stainless screws tend to strip or snap

--------------------
Know what, Bob? You win. CharlieD, 4/21/2008

You got something on your nose there, Peter.....

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
PlansNOW: Get Project Plans from Woodsmith Magazine

Extra information
0 registered and 4 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Gene P, Vince, WoodNet Manager, thooks, EightFingers, fivestring©™±, Joe Fisher, Ruffturn®, meackerman, barnowl, Bibliophile 13, Blacky's Boy, Grainraiser 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1942

Jump to

Contact Us | Contact the Moderators | Privacy Policy WoodNet Forums | WoodNet

UBB.threads™ 6.4.4