Honey, I Shrunk The Bench
BaileyNo5 said:

Hugh, it looks great, good job! But you can't just make an offhand comment like "...I had to make a flush-cut saw...." and not expect any questions. Now you gotta tell us about that.

Ha - it didn't work all that well on these thick maple dowels - I reverted to a regular saw and planed off the stub (incidentally, it was a busted dozukime with the spine removed).
In Japan, there's probably a WoodNet equivalent where they're debating about Western chisels being a lot like Japanese plumbers. - AHill
Martin S. said:

Very, very nice!

Hey, could we see a better pic of the cabinet sitting on the bench in pic number 2?

It looks like some sort of wall mounted tool cabinet.

Thanks - my next big project to finish (it's from 1912). Got the wings done...

In Japan, there's probably a WoodNet equivalent where they're debating about Western chisels being a lot like Japanese plumbers. - AHill
mvflaim said:

This is the best, most inspiring post I've ever seen on Woodnet!

Do you have a blog I can follow?

Hold on there, Hoss - the only inspiring I do happens every 6 seconds or so. And no.
henrypig said:

Thanks - my next big project to finish (it's from 1912). Got the wings done...

Wow. I thought it took me a long time to finish a project!

jk, I remember the post when you picked it up.

Matt
Matt

If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.
-Jack Handy

Really nice job on the bench, it looks great and very functional. I also remember when you bought that and the old tool cabinet as well. Looking forward to seeing the finished projects.

Thanks for sharing !

Steve
Thanks for posting the pic.

I really enjoy looking at old tool cabinets.
...Naval Aviators, that had balz made of brass and the size of bowling balls, getting shot off the deck at night, in heavy seas, hoping that when they leave the deck that the ship is pointed towards the sky and not the water.

AD1 T. O. Cronkhite
Nice bench and an excellent modification to suite your needs. Is the tool cabinet user made or an early commercial example. I have an old Keen Kutter one I picked up from an estate sale in a very old Kansas City neighborhood. It was listed in KK's 1905 catalog. It reminds me a bit of yours.

I say it's inspiring because I've been diagnosed with Devic's Disease. There's a chance I'll lose the use of my legs in the coming years and your post gave me hope for my future and still being able to work with wood.

You don't have a blog....you need one : ) .. wordpress.com
Bump
...Naval Aviators, that had balz made of brass and the size of bowling balls, getting shot off the deck at night, in heavy seas, hoping that when they leave the deck that the ship is pointed towards the sky and not the water.

AD1 T. O. Cronkhite
Bump again...

AD1 T. O. Cronkhite