View All Today's Active Topics
Woodsmith Library Online

Active >> Woodworking

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next | (show all)
measure once cut remeasure

Loc: Rensselaer cty NY
Thought on centralied shop vac for shop
      #6617593 - 01/01/14 05:51 PM

Has anyone ever connected a shop vac to central vacuum piping with multiple inlets to clean up their shop ?

I have a vac with a thein baffle setup and another with a dust deputy. As tight as my shop layout is, I can't easily get around with either of the vac setups. It would be a whole lot easier to have one setup in one out of the way location. I would then run central vac pipe to 3 or 4 inlets. The major cost might be having to buy a central vac flex hose to connect onto the inlets.

An alternative would be to use plastic grey pvc conduit to run a pipe from a shop vac located in a corner to the middle of my shop. I could then mount a shop vac hose connecction onto it that a regular shop vac hose could connect to.

Any thoughts ?

--------------------
My .02
Karl

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Restorer
Honored Veteran

Loc: Ks
Re: Thought on centralied shop vac for shop new [Re: measure once cut remeasure]
      #6617622 - 01/01/14 06:15 PM

sears and other places used to sell setups to do exactly as you want. I think sears even claimed it could be used for machine hook ups also. they used to use clear plastic so you could see any clogs. central house vacs are along the same line as you propose and use, I have seen clear, gray, and white pipe. i like the house central vacs that have an electric starter when you plug the hose into different ports. it is your shop do what you want. it has been done before. pvc will work. reg ole blast gates either store bought or made will work. just mentioned the elec. central vac gates, which will be more money, for the ease of use and when you find yourself across the shop without turning on the shop vac.

RedBob

Loc: Wilmington, Ma
Re: Thought on centralied shop vac for shop new [Re: measure once cut remeasure]
      #6617761 - 01/01/14 08:17 PM

I ran across this kit from Shop Vac when I was first setting up shop and installed it along the main bench/workstation wall. It was about $40.00 on sale on Shop Vac's web site at that time. The price now seems over the top. I hooked it up to a $40 reconditioned shop vac from Big Lots. I have a couple of outlets at the bench and one each for miter saw, sander and drill press. Works great.

Bob

--------------------
"All that I do or say is all that I ever will be"

Billy Joe Shaver, Old Five and Dimers Like Me

Phil Thien

#6617850 - 01/01/14 09:38 PM

I use a Thien baffle (shameless plug) separator plumbed to my entire shop. That is all I use, none of my tools have 4" ports they're all 2.5" ports. I use a couple of the kits that Rockler used to sell. Pretty much the same as this one from LV (although the LV one is better because they include wyes and Rockler only has Tees):

http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/page.aspx?p=62594&cat=1,42401,62597,62604,62594

measure once cut remeasure

Loc: Rensselaer cty NY
Re: Thought on centralied shop vac for shop new [Re: Phil Thien]
      #6617881 - 01/01/14 10:42 PM

Hi Phil

It isn't a shameless plug when it works.

I would probably go with the 2" white central vac pipe that costs about a buck a foot. Cast aluminum blast gates are available in 2" size.

Still contemplating, with other projects ahead.

Thanks
Karl

--------------------
My .02
Karl

Robert Adams

Loc: Fort Worth
      #6617897 - 01/01/14 11:18 PM

The motor on the shop vac doesn't have the oompfh to do it. Tried it and the results weren't what I liked. Now you can get refurbished central house vacs on ebay often for under $100 and they are monsters.
A central vac in the shop is a great addition if you put in enough ports and alongside the DC ducts.

Phil Thien

Re: Thought on centralied shop vac for shop new [Re: Robert Adams]
      #6618028 - 01/02/14 08:00 AM

Robert Adams said:

The motor on the shop vac doesn't have the oompfh to do it. Tried it and the results weren't what I liked. Now you can get refurbished central house vacs on ebay often for under $100 and they are monsters.
A central vac in the shop is a great addition if you put in enough ports and alongside the DC ducts.

The CFM/static lift on larger shop vacs and home central vacs are fairly similarly rated, with the central vacs having slightly lower CFM and slightly higher static lift than large shop vacs.

The motor found in Fein shop vacs in particular is pretty much what you'd find in many central vacs.

Regardless, a large shop vac (I use a larger Ridgid) works pretty darn well for me.

Which reminds me, I have to empty my 30-gallon separator drum again.

3finger

Loc: Byron, Illinois
      #6618162 - 01/02/14 09:48 AM

We have a central vac system in our house and my main concern for the shop would be the small capacity of the unit. It's fine for house dust, but in a shop, I think you would be emptying it every ten minutes.

--------------------
A retirement dedicated to fine woodworking and bad golf.

Mr_Mike
Rocketeer

Loc: So Cal, USA
      #6618177 - 01/02/14 09:56 AM

Why not just a 24 foot hose to your existing vac?

--------------------
Rocket Science is more fun when you actually have rockets.

"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government." -- Patrick Henry

closed for business
Invalid Declaration

Loc: South of Columbus OH
Re: Thought on centralied shop vac for shop new [Re: Mr_Mike]
      #6618615 - 01/02/14 03:32 PM

i have a tool activated shop vac mounted in the attic above my tablesaw island. Drilled a hole thru the floor and stuck the hose and an extension cord down.. it is coiled up outta my way but i can pull it down quickly and plug in the hose and tool and get to work. Or if i just want to activate the vac, i can plug a lightbulb into the cord to kick the vac on. It has 10' of hose that covers a good area and i can just attach another hose to that to get further range. It serves as clean up duty and also small tool attachment. seems to work pretty well.

--------------------
My Day Job
Good spin, but I didn't conveniently ignore anything. I addressed what I chose to address. ~CharlieD 9/15/11

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next | (show all)
PlansNOW: Get Project Plans from Woodsmith Magazine

Extra information
3 registered and 10 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Gene P, Vince, WoodNet Manager, fivestring©™±, thooks, EightFingers, Joe Fisher, barnowl, Ruffturn®, meackerman, Bibliophile 13, Blacky's Boy, Grainraiser 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1694

Jump to

Contact Us | Contact the Moderators | Privacy Policy WoodNet Forums | WoodNet

UBB.threads™ 6.4.4