View All Today's Active Topics
Woodsmith Library Online

Active >> Woodturning

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next | (show all)
Bill Mains

Loc: Yankton, South Dakota
Which CBN wheel
      #6621864 - 01/05/14 12:04 PM

Gonna do it, now which one? and which stone to leave on other side? Thanks...Bill

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
AHill
Honored Veteran

Loc: Antelope Valley, California
Re: Which CBN wheel new [Re: Bill Mains]
      #6621894 - 01/05/14 12:15 PM

I got the 180 grit wheel. I don't do a lot of reshaping, so it was great for me. And it cuts very quickly. I got the D-Way radiused wheel. It has a 1/4" radius on either side, which makes grinding scrapers and highly swept tools a lot easier.

--------------------
Still Learning,

Allan Hill

Steve K
Honored Veteran

Loc: Huntington IN
      #6621903 - 01/05/14 12:19 PM

I also bought the 180 grit from Dway tools. Good guy to do business with. Call him, he'll take the time to help you buy what need. I have 60 grit on the other side.

--------------------
Steve K

Wildwood

Loc: Jacksonville, NC
      #6622032 - 01/05/14 02:17 PM

I like D-Way tools the best because has widest wheels. I need a new grinder because wheel shaft not long enough on my grinder. Suggest you watch video and make sure wheel will fit whatever grinder you have.

http://d-waytools.com/tools-diamond-grinding-wheels.html

Packard Woodworks sells a narrower wheel, still have same problem and need a new grinder.

--------------------
Bill

Arlin Eastman
Honored VeteranBronze Medal with Valor Purple Heart x2

Loc: Iowa, Mills County
      #6622051 - 01/05/14 02:29 PM

Bill

Good luck and I can not wait to hear how you like it.

I do not have one but would have to buy the 6" since that is the grinder my father in law had.

Arlin

--------------------
It is always the right time, to do the right thing.

Hi, I'm Arlin's proud wife! His brain trma & meds-give memory probs and has pain from injuries, but all is well materially & financially.

Joe A M

Loc: Orion IL
Re: Opti-Grind CBN wheel new [Re: Bill Mains]
      #6622403 - 01/05/14 07:19 PM

I have a 180 grit Opti-Grind CBN wheel it's also 1 1/2" wide & also has CBN on the side for side grinding. I little pricier than the D-way but I have no regrets & would buy one again if I were to ever have a need for another.

Wipedout

Loc: Kingwood, TX USA
Re: Opti-Grind CBN wheel new [Re: Joe A M]
      #6622504 - 01/05/14 08:49 PM

The new dway have it on the side as well

Martin S.
Honored Veteran

Loc: In the Simulator
      #6917461 - 01/03/15 01:37 AM

bump

--------------------
...Naval Aviators, that had balz made of brass and the size of bowling balls, getting shot off the deck at night, in heavy seas, hoping that when they leave the deck that the ship is pointed towards the sky and not the water.

AD1 T. O. Cronkhite

robo hippy

Loc: Eugene, OR
Re: Which CBN wheel new [Re: Martin S.]
      #6917792 - 01/03/15 01:23 PM

If you are only getting one, I would get the 180 grit. I do prefer Dave at D Way, and will admit that I consider him a good friend. I also prefer the 1 1/2 inch wide wheels. I have never gone off the edge of one of them while sharpening my gouges and put a big divot in the wing of my gouge. I did that a number of times with the 1 inch wide wheels, even with gouge jigs and free hand sharpening. I have not found any difference in how any of the wheels cut, and I have done a lot of sharpening with the D Way, the Optigrind, and the Cuttermaster which is made in Canada. The Optigrind is available through both Woodcraft and Craft Supplies in a 1 inch wide version. There is another one on the market from Woodturning Wonders. I haven't checked one out in person, but they cost less, and seem to be identical to the ones from D Way. He does have one with radius edges, and a 1/2 inch wide side grind option. I haven't made up my mind about the radius edges. Only real advantage I can see with them is when sharpening hollowing bits because it is easier to push the bit around the side rather than rotating it. Dave does have a video clip of it up on his web site. I have an article up on my web site about CBN wheels that I did for Woodturning Design, but the parent company that published them went bankrupt before it got published.I think it covered every question I have seen about CBN wheels. I am not sure if the pictures are up with it or not. www.robohippy.net

robo hippy

David Delo

Loc: Ambridge, PA
Re: Which CBN wheel new [Re: robo hippy]
      #6917824 - 01/03/15 02:16 PM

Woodturning Wonders is now offering the CBN wheel not only with the radius but adds a 1" side coat for doing non-hollow grinding of skews and scrapers with a 9mm 90 degree space shoulder on the inside edge of the wheel for making relief/taper cuts on hook type or box scrapers. 4 usable functions in 80, 180, 220 & 350 grits.

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next | (show all)
WoodsmithPlans.com

Extra information
1 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  WoodNet Manager, Vince, Joe Fisher, thooks, EightFingers, fivestring©™±, barnowl, Ruffturn®, meackerman, Bibliophile 13, Blacky's Boy, Grainraiser 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You can start new topics
      You can reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1940

Jump to

Contact Us | Contact the Moderators | Privacy Policy WoodNet Forums | WoodNet

UBB.threads™ 6.4.4