View All Today's Active Topics
Woodsmith Library Online

Active >> Woodworking Hand Tools

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next | (show all)
RB61

Loc: Maple Grove, MN
Rasp question
      #6631696 - 01/13/14 08:22 PM

Short of buying a handmade wood rasp, can you recommend a few "best" machine made rasps?

Thanks

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
patriarch

Loc: Northern California
Re: Rasp question new [Re: RB61]
      #6631724 - 01/13/14 08:54 PM

Funny you should bring this up...

Several months ago, I looked to buy some patternmakers rasps. The anticipated purchase path did not work out, and so I bought several tools from Lee Valley. A rasp made in Eastern Europe, by hand, I believe, and a 4 in 1 tool, machine made. Both work well, but neither are really a finishing tool I was looking for.

Today's UPS brought an Auriou Chair maker's rasp, ordered with a gift card from the holiday, and the free shipping event. Clearly a beautiful tool. I think it will be in the tool roll for some time to come. $80, not cheap.

I'd been looking for Nicholsons, but none of my easily accessible suppliers indicated having them. And since I don't walk around so easily any more, I didn't want to do a lot of wandering. I also don't do fleas or yard sales. YMMV.

That may be what you're seeking - older Nicholsens.

rectangle618

Loc: Chicago Area
      #6631732 - 01/13/14 09:02 PM

The Dragon Rasps from Stewart-MacDonald are hand cut, but about half the price of some of the hand cut European rasps. I have one of the Large-Fine Dragon rasps. It is my first choice when I have any rasp work to do. I also have an Auriou and Nicholson 49 & 50, but they sit while the dragon works. (No connection with Stew-Mac, the rasp is the only thing I've ever ordered from them.)

--------------------
Regards,
Mike B.

"It's amazing that there are so many things that just aren't so." David Johansen

PeteW

Loc: London, England
      #6631819 - 01/14/14 01:16 AM

I heartily recommend the Iwasaki Japanese rasps. Seems like Woodcraft carries them in the US:
Iwasaki rasps

They're often listed as Japanese files, but they work more like a rasp. Actually, they work like a thousand tiny planes. The finish they leave is astonishing, and the price is excellent, too. They might not entirely fill your rasping needs, but I'd urge you to give one a go.

Tony Z
Something other--as requested

Loc: DuBois, PA
Re: Rasp question new [Re: rectangle618]
      #6631849 - 01/14/14 05:40 AM

rectangle618 said:

The Dragon Rasps from Stewart-MacDonald are hand cut, but about half the price of some of the hand cut European rasps. I have one of the Large-Fine Dragon rasps. It is my first choice when I have any rasp work to do. I also have an Auriou and Nicholson 49 & 50, but they sit while the dragon works. (No connection with Stew-Mac, the rasp is the only thing I've ever ordered from them.)

Just got one of the "Caruthers" scrapers from Stew Mac. They sent one of their catalogs and I'm also looking over the Dragon rasps. Prices seem real good. Also quite a bit of other interesting stuff in the Stew Mac catalog.

--------------------
Waiting to grow up beyond being just a member

Window Guy
Honored Veteran

Loc: St. Cloud,Fl., USA
      #6632016 - 01/14/14 08:58 AM

Try contacting Slav in Chicago, he posts here from time to time. He fixed me up with some NOS Nicholson's. Not sure what he has left, I think he moved a couple months back also. But his price's were very fair.

Steve

AHill
Honored Veteran

Loc: Antelope Valley, California
Re: Rasp question new [Re: PeteW]
      #6632136 - 01/14/14 10:55 AM

+1. They maybe don't have all the sizes and/or shapes you need for detail work, but they are pretty darned good.

PeteW said:

I heartily recommend the Iwasaki Japanese rasps. Seems like Woodcraft carries them in the US:
Iwasaki rasps

They're often listed as Japanese files, but they work more like a rasp. Actually, they work like a thousand tiny planes. The finish they leave is astonishing, and the price is excellent, too. They might not entirely fill your rasping needs, but I'd urge you to give one a go.

--------------------
Still Learning,

Allan Hill

Bibliophile 13Moderator

Loc: South Alabama
      #6632142 - 01/14/14 10:57 AM

The Czech-made ones from LV might actually be cheaper than some machine-made rasps. They work very well for the price.

--------------------
Steve S.
--------------------
Tradition cannot be inherited, and if you want it you must obtain it by great labour.
- T. S. Eliot

Tutorials and Build-Alongs at The Literary Workshop

shoottx

Loc: Plano Tx
Re: Rasp question new [Re: Window Guy]
      #6632559 - 01/14/14 04:21 PM

Window Guy said:

Try contacting Slav in Chicago, he posts here from time to time. He fixed me up with some NOS Nicholson's. Not sure what he has left, I think he moved a couple months back also. But his price's were very fair.

Steve

Yup

Slav has lots of interesting stuff. My last visit to his lair left my walet much lighter and the rasp supply greatly increased. And Slav is fun and fair to work with!

--------------------
Often in Error, Never in Doubt
Mike Jury

RB61

Loc: Maple Grove, MN
Re: Rasp question new [Re: Window Guy]
      #6632748 - 01/14/14 08:39 PM

Window Guy said:

Steve

Can you post contact information?
Thanks

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next | (show all)

Extra information
4 registered and 12 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  WoodNet Manager, Gene P, Vince, thooks, EightFingers, fivestring©™±, Joe Fisher, barnowl, Ruffturn®, meackerman, Bibliophile 13, Blacky's Boy, Grainraiser 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1266

Jump to

Contact Us | Contact the Moderators | Privacy Policy WoodNet Forums | WoodNet

UBB.threads™ 6.4.4