Woodsmith Library Online

Active >> Home Improvement

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Robert Adams

Loc: Fort Worth
Re: Leviton tamper resistant GFI new [Re: Bob10]
      #6640286 - 01/21/14 08:25 PM

Bob10 said:

The trick is more often than not lately to buy the stuff on line and avoid all the regs that are nonsense before you can't buy the stuff anyplace. Sad but true

Yup. Eventually we'll have to illegally import 110v receptacles from outside the country. And then they will put a big fine on importing them like the 25K fine for importing R-12 but it's Ok if you bring drugs in as you will just get a slap on the wrist and told not to do that again.
We will be buying our electrical supplies in dark alleys from the electrical outlet cartels goons while keeping an eye out for the feds... :):)

FYI even the pricey commercial grade 20 amp ones we have to use in some commercial applications don't work very well either.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Ohio Mike

Loc: Ohio's North Coast
Re: Leviton tamper resistant GFI new [Re: EightFingers]
      #6640304 - 01/21/14 08:43 PM

EightFingers said:

Anyone else have these? What is the trick?

They are a pain!

It's all in the wrist motion. The two prongs of the plug must exert precisely the same amount of pressure on each slot of the receptacle to allow the shutters to open. If you find the shutters aren't opening as you push, angle the plug a few degrees to one side and roll your wrist to a few degrees on the other side. At some point in the arc, the pressure on the two prongs will be exactly equal.

Mike

pprobus

Loc: Virginia
Re: Leviton tamper resistant GFI new [Re: Ohio Mike]
      #6640480 - 01/22/14 07:11 AM

Ohio Mike said:

EightFingers said:

Anyone else have these? What is the trick?

They are a pain!

It's all in the wrist motion. The two prongs of the plug must exert precisely the same amount of pressure on each slot of the receptacle to allow the shutters to open. If you find the shutters aren't opening as you push, angle the plug a few degrees to one side and roll your wrist to a few degrees on the other side. At some point in the arc, the pressure on the two prongs will be exactly equal.

Mike

I must've gotten a defective one. I put in a weather resistant, tamper proof, GFCI receptacle for a convenience outlet at the outdoor unit of my shop's heat pump a few weeks back. I had no issues plugging my vacuum pump into it. I did nothing different.

But maybe I did, I was plugging it in while on a ladder because it's about 9 feet off the ground, so maybe the trick is you need to be on a ladder.

Paul

--------------------
Paul
They were right, I SHOULDN'T have tried it at home!

m13579b

Loc: Central MA
Re: Leviton tamper resistant GFI new [Re: EightFingers]
      #6643403 - 01/24/14 12:44 PM

I agree, they are annoying. I installed one of these in the outlet next to my panel in the basement. They do loosen up a little with use.

In this case, one of the little shutters jambed open and my inspector failed me on it.
To his credit he failed me for not having a TR GFI. Because there was something plugged into the other half of the outlet, he saw no shutters, assumed it was a non TR GFI and failed me.

I looked as well, and thought gee, I was pretty sure I put a TR outlet there, but I guess not. Went out and bought another one and installed it, then realized the issue. So I rescheduled my re-inspection and showed him the damaged one. He got a chuckle out of that.

Edited by m13579b (01/24/14 12:45 PM)

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 5 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Gene P, Vince, WoodNet Manager, thooks, EightFingers, fivestring©™±, Joe Fisher, Ruffturn®, meackerman, barnowl, Bibliophile 13, Blacky's Boy, Grainraiser 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1121

Jump to

Contact Us | Contact the Moderators | Privacy Policy WoodNet Forums | WoodNet

UBB.threads™ 6.4.4