View All Today's Active Topics
Woodsmith Library Online

Active >> Woodworking Hand Tools

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next | (show all)
Bill Lyman

Loc: Darien, IL & Fripp Island, SC
Bench Grinder for sharpening
      #6647766 - 01/28/14 07:20 PM

It appears that a number of us are still trying to figure out how to get the initial bevel on chisels, plane blades, etc. (I have spent hours with water stones and would like a more efficient method) A number of you have suggested a bench grinder.
When I review user comments on bench grinders, however, I find they have wobble and run out.
Who makes a good, reliable bench grinder without wobble or run out for establishing or re-establishing base bevels on hand tools?

For a similar thread, see
http://www.forums.woodnet.net/ubbthreads...part=1&vc=1

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
gordon 131

Loc: Billings Montana
Re: Bench Grinder for sharpening new [Re: Bill Lyman]
      #6647774 - 01/28/14 07:28 PM

Bill, I have been using a white wheel I bought on amazon and put it on my shopsmith and made a tool rest out of 3/4 " solid bar. I then made chisel holders and plane iron holders out of maple and stuff laying around my shop. These tool holders work in conjunction with the tool rest and in my opinion I am getting great results.
I got all of this from Ian Kirby's book" sharpening with waterstones" I bought this book used at Hastings and I believe it was $8 or so. I highly recommend this book and his tool bar system, I know it was a real game changer for me , and got me headed in the right direction for shop sharpening.
Good luck to you Bill, I hope this helps you
Gordon

Scoony
Honored Veteran

Loc: Kentucky
      #6647786 - 01/28/14 07:42 PM

I have the Delta 8" variable speed grinder and could not be happier. The tool rest is not the best but is not the worst either. Very stable, quite, and strong running. I am happy with it.

Rob Young
Helper Monkey

Loc: Lawrence, KS
      #6647792 - 01/28/14 07:49 PM

Bill Lyman said:

It appears that a number of us are still trying to figure out how to get the initial bevel on chisels, plane blades, etc. (I have spent hours with water stones and would like a more efficient method) A number of you have suggested a bench grinder.
When I review user comments on bench grinders, however, I find they have wobble and run out.
Who makes a good, reliable bench grinder without wobble or run out for establishing or re-establishing base bevels on hand tools?

For a similar thread, see
http://www.forums.woodnet.net/ubbthreads...part=1&vc=1

The cheapest one you can find with the coarsest stone you can find. Frankly, I've had good luck with a HF 6" grinder out in the garage and for in the shop a "cheap" Indian made knockoff hand-crank grinder. Both with cheap 36 or 40 grit wheels from the hardware store.

--------------------
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. -- G. Carlin

cwarner

Loc: Sherrill, NY
Re: Bench Grinder for sharpening new [Re: Scoony]
      #6647794 - 01/28/14 07:51 PM

Funny I was just looking around online for this same thing. Leaning toward the rikon slow speed at woodcraft. Comes with the white 60 and 120 grit wheels.

--------------------
~ Chris

Admiral

Loc: NJ
      #6647835 - 01/28/14 08:24 PM

Don't worry about how expensive or fancy it may be. Just get a good adjustable rest, or make one. In the other thread, I mentioned the LV rest. Best money I ever spent. Highly recommended.

web page

--------------------
Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
No Evaporust was used on these tools.

Peter Tremblay
Banjo Pickin Priest/Father Sparky

Loc: Baltimore, MD
Re: Bench Grinder for sharpening new [Re: Rob Young]
      #6647838 - 01/28/14 08:25 PM

Rob Young said:

The cheapest one you can find with the coarsest stone you can find. Frankly, I've had good luck with a HF 6" grinder out in the garage and for in the shop a "cheap" Indian made knockoff hand-crank grinder. Both with cheap 36 or 40 grit wheels from the hardware store.

I completely agree.

This is one area where there is just no need to get fancy and expensive.

Just make sure you use a diamond wheel dresser every so often to keep the wheel unclogged. Do that and use a very light tough, with just a few seconds on the wheel, then dunk the blade in water. Combine all that with a good rest (I have the one from Lee Valley) and that is all you need.

--------------------
Peter

Do you want a better world?

Then, forgive those who didn't ask for it.
Love those who dislike you.
Show patience and kindness to those that you disagree with.
And allow others to disagree with you.

AHill
Honored Veteran

Loc: Antelope Valley, California
Re: Bench Grinder for sharpening new [Re: Peter Tremblay]
      #6647900 - 01/28/14 09:35 PM

I'm in the not so cheap category. I have one of those Woodcraft slow speed grinders. It's so out of balance (not a stone problem) that it's practically unusable. The problem was the VERY cheap stamped arbor flanges. It didn't matter what I put on the grinder. When the flanges were removed and replaced with machined flanges, it helped, but it still vibrates like crazy. I bought a second grinder - the variable speed Porter Cable grinder - and it's a joy to use. Solid as a rock, well-balanced, and well-built.

--------------------
Still Learning,

Allan Hill

Jonathan S
Makes an F5 Tornado look like a Hoover

Loc: Anchorage, Alaska
Re: Bench Grinder for sharpening new [Re: Scoony]
      #6647964 - 01/29/14 12:36 AM

Scoony said:

I have the Delta 8" variable speed grinder and could not be happier. The tool rest is not the best but is not the worst either. Very stable, quite, and strong running. I am happy with it.

I have this one also. I keep it on the lowest speed and use a wolverine rest. I currently have the Norton 3X wheels on it, 46 grit for chisels and plane irons and a 120 for turning tools.

Jonathan

--------------------
My Blog: The Alaska Woodworker has moved to www.alaskawoodworker.com

I only regret the tools I didn't buy!

“Think about it: Everything with a power cord eventually winds up in the trash.” John Sarge

Smoothjazz077

Loc: New York
Re: Bench Grinder for sharpening new [Re: Peter Tremblay]
      #6648199 - 01/29/14 09:22 AM

I agree with Peter on this as well. Just get a coarse wheel and decent tool rest, and you are set. No need to break the bank.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next | (show all)
PlansNOW: Get Project Plans from Woodsmith Magazine

Extra information
3 registered and 10 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  WoodNet Manager, Gene P, Vince, thooks, EightFingers, fivestring©™±, Joe Fisher, barnowl, Ruffturn®, meackerman, Bibliophile 13, Blacky's Boy, Grainraiser 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2206

Jump to

Contact Us | Contact the Moderators | Privacy Policy WoodNet Forums | WoodNet

UBB.threads™ 6.4.4