WoodNet Forums View Today's Active Woodworking Topics
View All Today's Active Topics
Woodsmith Library Online

Active >> Woodworking Power Tools

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next | (show all)
Jason_D

DeWalt DW734 planer vs DW735 planer
      #6654167 - 02/04/14 12:03 PM

Does anyone have experience with one or both of these planers? From what I've read, the 735 can handle a 1/2" wider board, has 2 speeds, and has a better dust collection attachment.

The 735 is about $180 more locally. For a weekend woodworker who works almost exclusively with Southern Yellow Pine, Poplar, Red Oak, and Cypress, are the three differences above worth the additional money? What's the benefit of 2 different speeds for a planer?

I apologize in advance if any of these are dumb questions. I've only been woodworking for about 4 years and I've only used hand planes so far. Thanks in advance!

--------------------
My dovetailed tool cabinet, Custom coffee table

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Steve Friedman

Loc: New Jersey
Re: DeWalt DW734 planer vs DW735 planer new [Re: Jason_D]
      #6654251 - 02/04/14 01:38 PM

And while you're answering Jason's question, why would you spend $500 on the DW 735 when you could get the Steel City with Carbide Helical cutters for the same price?

Sorry for the semi-hijack.

Steve

Jason_D

Re: DeWalt DW734 planer vs DW735 planer new [Re: Steve Friedman]
      #6654276 - 02/04/14 02:03 PM

Steve Friedman said:

And while you're answering Jason's question, why would you spend $500 on the DW 735 when you could get the Steel City with Carbide Helical cutters for the same price?

Sorry for the semi-hijack.

Steve

I'm focusing on DeWalts for three reasons. First, I'm an admitted brand-aholic. When I find something I like, I tend to be very loyal to that brand. My TS is a DeWalt and I love it.

Secondly, I live in a small town where the nearest big box store is 45 minutes away, but we do have a local hardware store that is a DeWalt dealer. I'm very big on buying local and this is a store that my son worked at in high school.

Even though my son moved on, the manager of the hardware store still gives me pretty significant discounts that bring my price $30 - $50 lower than the same models at a big box store.

And lastly, I just really dig that DeWalt black and yellow color scheme.

--------------------

stav

Loc: Orlando, FL
      #6654325 - 02/04/14 02:44 PM

Those are all great reasons, but you should really consider what Steve is suggesting. A full sized planer will provide a different level of service than a bench top planer. Especially for a similar price.

--------------------
David

Joe K1

Loc: Orange County CA
      #6654334 - 02/04/14 02:49 PM

I've had a 735 for 4 years or so and am happy with it. I already had another lunchbox planer but couldn't refuse the deal on the 735 when Home Depot was removing them from the local store inventory. The other lunchbox gets the "dirty work" now. The 735 is loud, no doubt about that. When comparing price differential, be sure to include infeed and outfeed tables as they are included on the 734. When you throw in a stand, the 735 is rather expensive, but there are sales or specials it seems like at least 4X a year.

mmt

Loc: Blue Springs, MO
Re: DeWalt DW734 planer vs DW735 planer new [Re: Joe K1]
      #6654341 - 02/04/14 03:01 PM

I purchased my DW735 used. I paid $380 for it several years ago.

I like having the 2 speeds. I do most of my planing with the faster speed (rough) and then use the slower speed (fine) for the last pass through.

And yes........these units are really loud. I use mine with a shopvac running at the same time. It really p****d off my next door neighbor one Sunday morning!
Mike

JohnRoscoe

Loc: Marysville, OH
      #6654356 - 02/04/14 03:14 PM

In my opinion the 735 is an intermediate machine, better than the rest of the portables, approaching the level of a stationary machine. I don't think the 734 to the 735 is an apples to apples comparison.

I like my 735 because of the solid 4 post height adjustment, the chip blower that would let me run it in the field without separate dust collection, and the great quality of the results(little sanding).

I added the factory auxiliary tables to mine, but still have a 6' piece of melamine that sits over them and makes a wonderful auxiliary table, with zero snipe. I also added the digital Wixey gauge, which I love. I don't really want a larger/heavier machine or 230 power, so the 735 is the best for me.

Steve Friedman

Loc: New Jersey
      #6654373 - 02/04/14 03:33 PM

Jason_D said:

And lastly, I just really dig that DeWalt black and yellow color scheme.

Oh, I get the color scheme thing - have ingested my fair share of the green Kool Aid.

To be clear, I wasn't suggesting that the Steel City was better than the the Dewalt. I have no idea. I have no stationary tools and this would be my first bench top one (no counting the bench grinder). I have been trying to debating among the 734, 735, and Steel City. Since the Steel City is the same price as the 735, I was just wondering what (other than the color) the 735 had that made it worth ignoring the Helical cutters. Putting helical cutters on the 735 sound wonderful, but not sure I want to double the cost.

I know that the 735 has always been universally regarded as the top of the line lunchbox planer, but wondered if the cutters on the Steel City machine is changing that.

Steve

Lynden

Loc: So. California
      #6654379 - 02/04/14 03:44 PM

From everything I read, the DeWalts are good planers. But if noise and weight are important to you, you should consider the Makita 2012NB.

DW735: 102 dB, 90 pounds
DW734: 98 dB, 80 pounds
2012NB: 83 dB, 68 pounds

The DW735 at 102 dB is about 80 times louder than the Makita. The DW734 at 98 dB isn't much better. Do you have nearby neighbors? Would your family be disturbed by a very loud tool running in the shop? Are you going to be lifting your planer to and from a stand? The Makita gets good reviews. I like mine.

http://www.amazon.com/Makita-2012NB-12-Inch-Interna-Lok-Automated/dp/B000051ZOO/ref=cm_cr_pr_pb_t

Jason_D

Re: DeWalt DW734 planer vs DW735 planer new [Re: Lynden]
      #6654388 - 02/04/14 03:53 PM

Lynden said:

From everything I read, the DeWalts are good planers. But if noise and weight are important to you, you should consider the Makita 2012NB.

DW735: 102 dB, 90 pounds
DW734: 98 dB, 80 pounds
2012NB: 83 dB, 68 pounds

The DW735 at 102 dB is about 80 times louder than the Makita. The DW734 at 98 dB isn't much better. Do you have nearby neighbors? Would your family be disturbed by a very loud tool running in the shop? Are you going to be lifting your planer to and from a stand? The Makita gets good reviews. I like mine.

http://www.amazon.com/Makita-2012NB-12-Inch-Interna-Lok-Automated/dp/B000051ZOO/ref=cm_cr_pr_pb_t

My TS is a DeWalt DW744 rated at 91 dB and none of my neighbors have complained in the past 4 years. Granted, I never run it before 8am or later than 8pm on weekdays and I'm even more careful about respectful noise hours on the weekends.

I plan to build a cart with lockable 5" casters (similar to what I built for my TS) for the planer to bolt to.

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next | (show all)
PlansNOW: Get Project Plans from Woodsmith Magazine

Extra information
3 registered and 9 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Gene P, Vince, WoodNet Manager, fivestring©™±, EightFingers, thooks, Joe Fisher, barnowl, Ruffturn®, meackerman, Bibliophile 13, Blacky's Boy, Grainraiser 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2604

Jump to

Contact Us | Contact the Moderators | Privacy Policy WoodNet Forums | WoodNet

UBB.threads™ 6.4.4