Hand Tool Cabinet Planning and Building...
You might have seen my other posts alluding to the fact that I am in need of a useful tool cabinet. Here is a picture of the hand tools I am in immediate need of storing, but I will need to have some room to add tools in the future (i.e. spokeshaves, tenon saw, etc.).

I am not sure where to begin, but I will try to lay the tools out in a more sensible fashion and see where that leads me.

Thanks!

Andy
I am quickly realizing that I have NO natural talent... But I am trying to fake it.
First design question... BB plywood or I have a lot of cherry stacked up in my garage. Do I display some craftsmanship (if all goes well...) by using solid wood, or go the quicker route and use ply?

Andy
I am quickly realizing that I have NO natural talent... But I am trying to fake it.
I ma thinking of a version similar to the two pictured as well...

Andy
Go for the tool shrine!

I vote cherry. You can go quick and cheap with plywood else where, but storing fine tools in a fine cabinet is a pleasure in itself. I have posted my cherry cabinet way too often, so I won't do it again here, but yes, join the cherry cabinet club!
titanxt said:

I ma thinking of a version similar to the two pictured as well...

Well, if you build that first one you're going to have to buy a lot more tools .

In my current shop I went for a quick and easy cabinet with simple pine boxes glued to plywood back and door panels. Functionally, it's been fine for ten years but it certainly isn't pretty.

For the new shop, I'm wrestling with some of the same issues as you. Part of me wants a tool cabinet of beauty, but the most logical storage spaces around the bench are smaller (either side of the window and a short return wall on the left side). So I'm also thinking about separate tills for planes and saws, and open racks for chisels, marking tools, etc.

But you seem committed to the cabinet, so I'd vote for the Cherry Cabinet of Myth and Legend .
Baltic ply is costly, and handwork seems to demand (psychologically) closer attachment to 'nature' than what is provided by an imported machine processed, reduced, predigested product. Superficially, that is.

The two samples you show, using cut lumber carcase-frame look nice. Going back to the machine look of plywood, I would paint the panels and disguise their identity.
Where to begin?
Andy, I have an unorthodox answer. Expect your first attempt to fail. You might not be able to accommodate new tools, or put commonly used ones in hard to get spots, etc.
Invest a little in a simple, useful and serviceable one first. Use simple plywood, nailed together, and live with it for a while. In a few months you will know best how to build your dream cabinet.
Fordperfect, How about a link instead of a pic??

Andy
I just found this "favorite" pic in my Twitter account...

Andy
Since you asked...

If you look at the hinges on the side of the cabinet, it's apparent that I don't have any storage depth to my doors. This was intentional, and I am still happy I did it that way. It's filling up, but I have a number of years yet before I need to build inner dividers for more storage.