Upstate NY Cherry source
I have been looking for a source of Cherry rough cut, kiln or air dried. I have been getting it from a local place but it is expensive(S2S) and picked over. There are several mills with websites, good prices, 2.5 or more hrs drive one way. Wishing they were closer. Ideas? Oh, couple of hundred bdft for kitchen cabs.
Saratoga, NY
It's a good day trip, but www.lakeshorehardwoods.com near Pulaski has the best cherry in these parts. Brian is great to work with and their selection of exotics is also extensive. Other than that, check with local mills and CL.

HTH,
John
Madison Woodsmith: In the shop making chaos out of order.
wudnutjohn said:

It's a good day trip, but www.lakeshorehardwoods.com near Pulaski has the best cherry in these parts. Brian is great to work with and their selection of exotics is also extensive. Other than that, check with local mills and CL.

+1 for Lake shore Hardwoods

HTH,
John

Rick

Lakeshore hardwoods - Yep, I have seen their website. Google puts them 3hrs 10mins away from my home. That's a nasty drive. This place is 1/2 hour closer, but don't know anyone who has been there. http://www.saranachollow.com/hardwoods.htm
Saratoga, NY
Maybe call one or two places you've heard good things about and see if they will hand pick stuff for you and send you photos. Then you can decide whether it's worth the effort to drive there to pick it up or pay to have it shipped. I bought a lot of lumber by mail order years ago, before I had local access to most things I need, and I don't ever remember getting a bad deal.

John
Check Albany craiglist. I have found it there for$2 bdft. Send me a pm ,I have a guy who had some ruff cut.
+2 for Lakeshore Hardwoods. I've bought from them in person and it's the only place I feel totally comfortable ordering wood sight unseen. Brian, the owner is very helpful and if you have a specific project in mind he'll spend time with you to figure out what will give you the best yield based on what he has on hand. Kind of like remote control hand picking. It's worth a phone call at least.
Itshardtoputspacesinbetweenyourwordswithouttheuseofyourthumbs
I've bought from Southern Tier Hardwoods before with great results (Aaron or Mike) - not much (if any) closer but it's another option. I was able to purchase rough lumber (not s2s) and I'm not a wholesale buyer.

YouTube
I routinely buy from Southern Tier Hardwoods, but there has to be something comparable in the Capital region.
I have a sawyer who has all kinds of rough cut, air dried wood. Cherry, Walnut, White Oak, Quarter sawn white oak, etc...

And he is pretty cheap about it. How much and what size are you looking for?

By the way, he lives in Galway, so only about 1/2hr from you.