Something for budding planemakers
Anyone interested in making a dovetailed infill plane should have a look at this Holtey blog. It's all fascinating but scroll down a bit and you will find a section on dovetailing sole to sides, I sincerely doubt that anyone else is that meticulous - as in anything, if you insist on perfection it will be expensive, and worth it.

Jim
Jim

That is a great read and he does make some wonderful planes.

There is a guy here who makes planes and posts them once in a while. Here is a link
http://www.forums.woodnet.net/ubbthreads...amp;sb=5&o=

He makes a lot of different planes and this is only one of them.

Arlin
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
And another great plane maker and fellow Woodnetter is Ron Brese....His planes are in a class by themselves..functional works of art....

http://www.breseplane.com/
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

Jack and Arlin, I think that you are missing the point that Jim is attempting to make: the link to the workshop of Karl Holtey is to provide you with a glimpse into the world of Perfection. While others may produce good work (and Ron - mentioned above - has a nice aesthetic to his work), their methods and results are well back from Holtey. In particular, Ron does not dovetail his plane bodies (and I am uncertain whether the other fellow does either), and this is the focus of the Holtey glimpse. Jim is pointing to this process and not simply an overall product.

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com
Derek Cohen said:

Jack and Arlin, I think that you are missing the point that Jim is attempting to make: the link to the workshop of Karl Holtey is to provide you with a glimpse into the world of Perfection. While others may produce good work (and Ron - mentioned above - has a nice aesthetic to his work), their methods and results are well back from Holtey. In particular, Ron does not dovetail his plane bodies (and I am uncertain whether the other fellow does either), and this is the focus of the Holtey glimpse. Jim is pointing to this process and not simply an overall product.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Derek

I think you missed when I posted (That is a great read and he does make some wonderful planes.)

I just remarked that someone else make planes to and did not speak of how or quality.

Mind your manners please.

Arlin
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
Quote:

the link to the workshop of Karl Holtey is to provide you with a glimpse into the world of Perfection.

Derek, I have been a fan of Karl Holtey's planes for years!!! The word "perfection" does not do them justice...I was just pointing out a fellow woodnetter's talents..I've never seen a Holtey plane, but I have seen Ron's and they are outstanding.
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

With respect to you, Jack, and to Arlin, Jim started a thread about dovetails in infill planes ..

"Anyone interested in making a dovetailed infill plane should have a look at this Holtey blog. "

Immediately it gets derailed or sidetracked by the subsequent posts, which ignore this factor or introduce something else (in this case, two planemakers that do not do dovetailing, nor links that show how they differ). I don't know how Jim feels, but this type of thing irks me.

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com
Yetloh said:

Anyone interested in making a dovetailed infill plane should have a look at this Holtey blog. It's all fascinating but scroll down a bit and you will find a section on dovetailing sole to sides, I sincerely doubt that anyone else is that meticulous - as in anything, if you insist on perfection it will be expensive, and worth it.

Jim

Thanks, Jim, that was an extremely useful link. I've got a Shepherd plane stalled at the dovetails for about 12 years (mainly because I got more interested in making Japanese planes, but also because I didn't know how to procede without mashing everything), and this link showed me the way. Maybe it's time to finish it?

Pam
Derek Cohen said:

With respect to you, Jack, and to Arlin, Jim started a thread about dovetails in infill planes ..

"Anyone interested in making a dovetailed infill plane should have a look at this Holtey blog. "

Immediately it gets derailed or sidetracked by the subsequent posts, which ignore this factor or introduce something else (in this case, two planemakers that do not do dovetailing, nor links that show how they differ). I don't know how Jim feels, but this type of thing irks me.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Thanks Derek, you have ientified my point exactly. I don't generally mind digressions because, just as in conversation they can sometimes be more interesting than what prompted them and can provide surprising insights, but if a thread is to be sidetracked it is better that it happens somewhat later in its life.

Jim
pampine said:

[blockquote]Yetloh said:

Jim

Thanks, Jim, that was an extremely useful link. I've got a Shepherd plane stalled at the dovetails for about 12 years (mainly because I got more interested in making Japanese planes, but also because I didn't know how to precede without mashing everything), and this link showed me the way. Maybe it's time to finish it?

Pam

[/blockquote]

Pam,

I'm glad you found it useful and enjoyable. I have some other material that you might find interesting and will send you a PM.

Jim