I think this guy need some shaper cutter guards.
I'm pretty comfortable with my shaper but I couldn't do this without covering the cutter. That's a lot of cutter in the open.

Start at the 4 minute mark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl...K2GLxLUE5E
Alaskan's for Global Warming
Eagle River AK
I was cringing with each pass he made thinking the cutter was going to take off a knuckle or two.

John
I have done freehand cuts like this with rub bearings for curved raised panels but the cutter was below the finished piece and I made darn sure my hands were no where near the cutter head.
WoodworkerTom said:

I have done freehand cuts like this with rub bearings for curved raised panels but the cutter was below the finished piece and I made darn sure my hands were no where near the cutter head.

He has to have a bearing under the head or the edges would show burn marks.

Al
I turn, therefore I am!
It really did look like he was going to take a knuckle off. I'm sure he has done so many of those he feels real comfortable doing it that way.
John

Always use the right tool for the job.

We need to clean house.
Well what do you expect, within 15 seconds he was proclaiming you were watching "Woodworking with a Redneck"

In his favor, he has all 10 digits, and is claiming to have raised a large number of panels, so likely he has also run a lot of bd/ft through all manor of machine.

I did note on every push he made, that push block went to exactly the same distance from the cutter every time. It was close enough to have control, and manage depth, but far enough away he felt safe. Had he been using a guard he had perfect use of the tool.

He didn't have a guard, nor did he make mention he usually did, and just had it off for clarity. So it sux he is showing this online which could give some NOOB the thought guards weren't needed. What he wants to do is all about his fingers, just don't expect me to pay for their repair. I won't do it happily. As I say, the net is a big teaching tool for a lot of people, so when people show poor examples it puts others at risk, and that sux.
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
Guys name is Dwayne Eller

http://woodworkr.com

website didn't work for me. I was gonna invite him to see what others thought of his tool use. Never know, at least when he's making videos, he might change his ways to incorporate full use of safety components?

Then I looked more and saw the following video. I agree what he does in the privacy of his shop he can do whatever he wants, still hope no one takes this joik seriously, and tries to do it exactly as he does it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lpNn0Hcxy8
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
Thanks for posting that video. He has another subscriber as I totally agree with what he is saying.
"...cuttin' your presidency off right now. Just quit. Because if this is you helpin' us, then stop helpin' us."
+ 1
I prefer a guard myself. I don't think just because someone posts Youtube videos they have an obligation to adhere to someone else's idea of what constitutes safety. If every video on Youtube was geared for the noobs you'd never want to watch any of them.
RD
------------------------------------------------------------------
"Boy could I have used those pocket screws!" ---Duncan Phyfe