Vintage Delta bandsaw score at yard sale
There is a HUGE neighborhood sale in town every year that is a 'must-attend' for me. Every year I go I come home with something that I've used around the house regularly. With a toddler and another on the way kids clothes were a priority for me this year. I've seen some planes and other old hand power tools but never a score like this year.

I brought home a 1940's (my guess) Delta wood/metal 14" bandsaw with 5 blades for $70. Its got an enclosed, cast iron base and is a tank. There was also the wood only model with an open base for $40 that sold before I could get there. Other than the wearable parts like thrust bearings, tires and guide blocks the saw is in great shape. It could use a fresh coat of paint but the boards it'll be chewing through don't care how it looks. I found some tires and cool blocks on Amazon but the bearings are proving to be a little tricker to find. I'm going to check out Grainger maybe. With the endless sizes of bearings out there it's tricky to find the right size online. Any ideas would be appreciated.

I can't believe the size of the motor for being 3/4 horse. Its darn near the size of a 5 gal bucket!!

This weird little oil port is right near the wheel on the motor. I've never seen one like it. Any recommendations on what kind of lubricant to use or if it should be changed or checked...

This is the model number but I couldn't find it anywhere online. There were some very similar looking saws on the Vintage tool website but no matching model numbers. Its makes little difference to me other than to scratch that curiosity itch.
How do you know you're learning anything if you don't screw up once in awhile?

My blog: http://birdsandboards.blogspot.com/
Great score! Regarding the bearings, take them to store that sells all types of bearings. I'm sure there must be one in Duluth. They can mic the outside diameter, thickness and inside diameter and provide an exact match.
That is a great score for that price.

For bearings, I would head over to OWWM.org. There is a thread there on ordering from Accurate Bearing (pretty sure that is the name). It's a sticky thread so it will always be there at the top of the thread list.
"One should respect public opinion insofar as is necessary to avoid starvation and keep out of prison, but anything that goes beyond this is voluntary submission to an unnecessary tyrany, and is likely to interfere with happiness in all kinds of ways."
Sawdustd said:

Great score! Regarding the bearings, take them to store that sells all types of bearings. I'm sure there must be one in Duluth. They can mic the outside diameter, thickness and inside diameter and provide an exact match.

I agree with this, but it's going to also be important to find the bearing numbers. The numbers will detail what kind of bearing (deep groove ball, angular contact, roller, etc.). Getting the right type is just as important as the correct size.

Regarding the lube port on the motor, you might be able to find a sealed bearing (with a grease supply contained inside) that will be applicable, just make sure that its speed rating will match what you have.

Nice find, keep us updated on the restoration process. I always love reading about this kind of stuff.
stav said:

That is a great score for that price.

For bearings, I would head over to OWWM.org. There is a thread there on ordering from Accurate Bearing (pretty sure that is the name). It's a sticky thread so it will always be there at the top of the thread list.

+1

Not only will you find the correct bearing information, but we LOVE old tools like this and will love to have it added to the data base, ESPECIALLY with the CI base--a fairly rare find.

You, my friend, scored BIG.
Semper fi,
Brad

That is a huge score for that price. The base alone is worth several hundred and the metal cutting saws are sought after just by themselves. I had one just like it quite a few years ago and sold it before I knew better.

On that saw I would check the condition and operation of the gearbox and how smooth it runs. Check for oil leak and how it shifts. You can run the saw without the gearing working, but it would be my goal to get it all back to its original operating condition.

Most of the folks over on owwm.org use accurate bearings for their bearing supplier. If you haven't already, get on over to that site and create an account. The advice you get there is unmatched. Just don't go asking for an appraisal, that is strictly verboten. They don't want to turn the site into an old tool appraisal service.

The motor oilers will take standard 10w electric motor oil. That motor may have sleeved bearings.

Looking at that serial number (the one that begins with 11, I would guess that puts the saw before 1941, maybe 1939? The model is probably an 880. Here is a link to a line catalog for 1939: Manual

My 14" Delta has a 1/2 HP Wagner on it with sleeve bearings and this is what I use to oil it:

mr_skittle said:

This is the model number but I couldn't find it anywhere online.

That's the serial number that you can date it with. 1940 is a good estimate. For all intents and purposes the model is a Metal/Wood. Model numbers changed for any option you added to it, such as a steel or iron stand, motor, etc., so they are largely ignored.
Darned nice deal for $70. Restored, it could be worth $500 - $800.
Thanks for your input everyone. I knew it was a good deal but I'm a little blown away by how great of a deal everyone is saying it was.

I called around town and found "the place" for bearings. I had a few people totally confused, but the guy at the last place I called knew his stuff. Once I read him the numbers off the bearing he knew exactly what was going on. He ordered them up and they'll be here in a day. $12 for the pair. Apparently the manufacturer has been out of business for decades and I would find it hard to believe, but it's not out of the question that they could be the original thrust bearings.

As far as metal cutting, I really have no need for that feature but the price was right regardless. I intend to heed the advice of making sure the gearbox works ok but I'm not sure it's ever been used. It does have oil in the gearbox because some leaked in my car on its short ride home. I'm fairly certain it leaked out of the filling port because there doesn't seem to be oil leaking anywhere around the gearbox. There's no wheel on the shaft and doesn't look like there's been one on it for many years. Honestly, I'm not even sure how to get it set up for metal cutting. I'll have to post a pic of the back side of the stand and get a little input. Also thanks for the suggestion on the oil for the motor.

The other one for sale that day had the open base and I'd have jumped on it for $40 had it not already sold but I do find the Art Deco CI base on the one I got to be very charming (and heavy). I'll have to do some checking around to see what it might cost to get it sand blasted and repainted. I ordered the tires and guide blocks today, get the bearings tomorrow and maybe by the weekend I can be making some sawdust with this baby.

One more question for now, any recommendations on the max width for a resaw blade for it? The wheels are about 1 1/4 wide but if I'm not mistaken, standard convention says that a 3/4 wide blade is about max for a 14" saw. Should I stick with a 3/4 wide or could I be a rebel and go for a 1" blade? Perhaps I'm way off the mark here anyways as this is my first 'real' bandsaw. I've been struggling through the last few years with a sad little Craftsman benchtop that I bought for cutting cedar shake shingles for bird feeders. Turns out its not much good for anything harder than cedar...
How do you know you're learning anything if you don't screw up once in awhile?

My blog: http://birdsandboards.blogspot.com/