Ya can't judge a book by its cover
I got a call yesterday from a guy looking to sell his father's tool chest and tools. He'd placed an ad on CL and the pictures didn't look too inviting. When I got there, I saw this

I have to admit, I was more than a little discouraged. Then I opened it up and saw this

I think the insides are mahogany and the fit on the compartments is amazing. Seems the father had been a patternmaker and the son has no interest. Oh, there were also these other things in there and if someone could tell me what they are, I'd appreciate it.
Currently a smarta$$ but hoping to one day graduate to wisea$$
That is neat. I wonder what industry the Father worked in?
Mike

If you're the smartest person in the room, you're in the wrong room!

But not today...
The round ended tools are used in pattern making to apply leather fillets. With a little googling, you might be able to find find some specifics.

When leather fillets are needed they are glued onto the pattern and the round tool presses the fillet into place and smooths it.
Excellent!! Thanks very much.
That's really cool.

Is that a pattern-maker's vise in the corner of the first picture? And some sort of miter box, right?
Steve S.
------------------------------------------------------
Tradition cannot be inherited, and if you want it you must obtain it by great labour.
- T. S. Eliot

Tutorials and Build-Alongs at The Literary Workshop
that's a pretty cool find! Congrats
Gotta learn it sometime, so take your time, enjoy, and make sawdust...
Archie
Yeah, rub it in

I'm watching you

See ya around,
Dominic
------------------------------
Don't you love it when you ask someone what time it is and to prove how smart they are, they tell you how to build a watch?
Yup, that's an Emmerts and one of my many miter boxes. I would love to sell a few of the miter boxes, but they are a PITA to ship. That Emmerts has been with me for about 3 years now waiting for a bench heavy enough to hold it.
[blockquote]DaveParkis said:

I got a call yesterday from a guy looking to sell his father's tool chest and tools. He'd placed an ad on CL and the pictures didn't look too inviting. When I got there, I saw this

Good find.

I have lately added to my want list. I want one or two of those card catalog file cabinets in the left side of your pic. They are BIG money even used. What a great way to store stuff though.
The search continues....
Mark Singleton

Bene vivendo est optimum vindictae

The Laws of Physics do not care about your Politics   -  Me
Its amazing g how regional prices are. I got that cabinet at an estate sale for $25 and could have had 6 more if I wanted them. I have another one that has taller drawers (5x8 card size) that is fireproof and has a combination lock that I bought for $50. Took 6 of us to lift it into a truck after we took all the drawers out.