workbench as outfeed table (h/t Fine Woodworking)
cover project of the FWW I just got is an outfeed table/workbench. Has anyone done this? I have been thinking that I need an outfeed table, and also that my bench is taking up too much space in my shop. This really wouldn't help the space problem all that much, but I'm not really sure I'm ready to get rid of the bench. Any thoughts on this, particularly in a space-limited shop? I'm thinking I would put the bench on a moveable base, mostly because I like to be able to move my saw
It is not uncommon...

those are nice, I'm sure I've seen this done but it never struck me before as something I would want to do. Mostly because any flat surface usually collects stuff
I dont have a good pic.....but I do.

Once Favre hangs it up though, it years of cellar dwelling for the Pack. (Geoff 12-18-07)  

If you are going to have both, it certainly allows the bench to become useful in one other area, and if you were planning to also have an outfeed table it eliminates the need of one other larger footprint. So it does help a tight space problem. One thing that always helps in a shop is more horizontal space
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
I built a light weight 4' x 4' bench for an outfeed table for my rip saw. The table has adjustable feet, so I can true up the table to make it match the saw as needed. The table is not connected to the saw, so I can move it away from the saw to allow it to balance longer wood. The table doubles as an assembly bench, and I store C clamps, clamp pads, and glue tools on a shelf under the bench. It works, because the bench is light enough to slide around, so I don't need wheels. The wheels make height adjustment awkward.
Yes, it can be done. But having done so, there are a couple of problems. The bench needs to be cleared before ripping boards. The stuff has to go somewhere. The bench is more steps than you think away from the saw blade. It adds up when trimming boards to fit.
They told me anybody could do it, but I showed them.
My main workbench does double as the outfeed for my TS. It works out well but when I'm working on a project it can get hectic in that area, limiting what I can do on one or the other unless something is moved. That, and every flat surface in my shop can collect items from time to time and requires me to clean up before using my TS. That isn't the workbench's fault, just bad habits on the part of the operator.
I have my assembly table serve as an outfeed for my TS.

As you can see, it's not attached. I bridge the gap between the two with a piece of 1/2" plywood that hangs on the side of the bench when not needed. It rests on a cleat on the end of the table and the back rail of the TS. I like this arrangement because it allows easier access from the work table to the TS and other parts of my shop when I'm not ripping something, which is more often than not. But when I need to rip something I have over 10 feet of support.

The plywood panel can slide left/right and actually catch stuff coming off the TS on the right, too. Here I'm using it to support my cutoff sled.

John
not having it attached and having a bridge piece might work out the best. If I do this, I'll have to figure out what to do with my bench mounted drill press