Blum Tandem plus
Will be making drawers for a friend whose wife wants the Tandem plus slides.
Used Accuride 3832 in the past.
Is it necessary to buy the template for the attachment of parts.
I've seen a lot on the tube of guys not using it

Also, any other suggestions welcome.

Your opinions please
and THANKS, Forest
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted- then used against you.
I have used Blum without the guides - the locking devices are very simple - they fit snugly into the front corners. The rear hole is pretty easy too. Just install the drawer on the slides and mark where the slide connects to the drawer. Drill holes in the drawer back.

I don't remember the exact measurement, but after you mark the first drawer, just put the holes in the same place on all the others.

HTH,

Joel
USN (Corpsman) 1968-1972
USAF Retired Aug 31, 1994
Santa Rosa County, Fl Retired Jun 1, 2012
Now just a hobbiest enjoying woodworking!
No
Just make sure you make the drawers the right size & follow the directions.
They will make you never want to go back to side mounts.
Rusty
Poppa's Woodworks
Trusty Rusty said:

No
Just make sure you make the drawers the right size & follow the directions.
They will make you never want to go back to side mounts.
Rusty

Ditto. I have lots of side mount slides that I use from time to time and I really don't like working with them anymore since the undermounts of any brand are so much easier to install.
Only issue is drilling that front hole at an angle. I made templates for the rear hole. Just a piece of scrap ply with a hole in it.

Just read the directions and figure out how to make the drawer sizes right and you will be fine. The instructions from blum aren't the easiest to read.
I used them on a whole bedroom set, so I figured the template kit would be worthwhile. It is ridiculously expensive for what it is, but works really slick and probably worth my money for the number of drawers I was doing. Can't say enough good about the glides themselves. For all the work I put into the wood, when my wife shows off the stuff to others, the first thing she does is demonstrate the glide action. Sheesh!
A retirement dedicated to fine woodworking and bad golf.
The jigs are worthwhile. Just buy them and be done with it because once you use these slides you will be hooked.
I've probably used about 50 sets of them now and see no reason to buy the jigs. Then again I'm not a production shop.

John
Generally I'd say buy it and see if you ever plan to use it again. If not, sell it on E bay. In this case I question that because Blum seems to be one of those companies that makes minor changes and obsolete things like jigs. I've got one at work, and bought one for myself for side jobs and they are both obsolete. I did buy the newest one for work because we use a lot of them. (40 in the last 2 months) Be careful if you try to buy on Fea Bay, make sure it fits the specific slides your using. make sure you get the right model slides as well.

Thanks guys for all your input
I appreciate it

Forest
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted- then used against you.
Leinie said:

Generally I'd say buy it and see if you ever plan to use it again. If not, sell it on E bay. In this case I question that because Blum seems to be one of those companies that makes minor changes and obsolete things like jigs. I've got one at work, and bought one for myself for side jobs and they are both obsolete. I did buy the newest one for work because we use a lot of them. (40 in the last 2 months) Be careful if you try to buy on Fea Bay, make sure it fits the specific slides your using. make sure you get the right model slides as well.

FYI, I've been using the same jigs with the Blum slides for over ten years. No changes.