Bench Top Mortiser Recommendations?
I'm considering a bench top mortiser. The Powermatic looks like the best, based on my cursory glance at reviews. Does anyone else have input or experiences?

http://www.amazon.com/Powermatic-1791310...B000BX1JQU
T.J.
Head Piddler, My Shop
Central Arkansas
From experience I can tell you NOT to waste your money on the Delta 14-650,1. Piece of crap is putting it mildly. Nothing but trouble from day 1.
1st one arrived with broken castings, Replacement arrived with broken castings.3rd try was not broken in carton. Flimsy pot metal splined tightening mechanism stripped out. Switch went kaput. Hydraulic cylinder quit working. Some parts are no longer available.
Did I mention it's a piece of crap?
Hope the PM works better for you. And thanks for the opportunity to once again rip Delta.
OH, man. OUCH.
Thanks for the warning, man. I hate to hear that. :-(
Shame on those knuckleheads for ruining the Delta legacy!
T.J.
Head Piddler, My Shop
Central Arkansas
I have one of those 701s and I like it a lot. For you, that's the good news.

The bad news is that I bought mine several years ago off Amazon for less than half of what it is listed at now. I'm still gloating shamelessly.
A retirement dedicated to fine woodworking and bad golf.
Aw, man! Thanks for your feedback anyway, SUCK-er. ;-)
T.J.
Head Piddler, My Shop
Central Arkansas
I had a Jet and it worked pretty well but was awkward and limited. I saw a demo of Domino got one on 30 day trial and kept it sold the Jet. I now have a Woodhaven 6004 horizontal router table as well horizontal router tables . I use it a lot more than my regular table. It' not as fast or convenient as the Domino but it will do regular routing very well. Much much better than a regular mortiser.
homo homini lupus
"The best lack all conviction, while the worst are full of passionate intensity." Yeats
Si vis pacem, para bellum
Quodcumque potest manus tua facere instaner opere Ecclesiastes
WOW - Mine is just perfect. I have used it a lot.

Not sure if they still make them but Fisch (I think) made a really nice one.
John

Always use the right tool for the job.

We need to clean house.
I had an attachment that went on my drill press and didn't like it. Too much effort to reconfigure. I then used hand tools. Too much effort. Ever since I bought my Domino, I've never looked back. Perfectly accurate every time, and saves SO much time. I know it's expensive, but it's one Festool tool that I believe is worth every penny you pay for it.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
JR1 said:

I had a Jet and it worked pretty well but was awkward and limited. I saw a demo of Domino got one on 30 day trial and kept it sold the Jet. I now have a Woodhaven 6004 horizontal router table as well horizontal router tables . I use it a lot more than my regular table. It' not as fast or convenient as the Domino but it will do regular routing very well. Much much better than a regular mortiser.

Why better, exactly? Is it because the horizontal table used with the spiral bits can create both the mortise and the tenon? I can certainly see the advantage there. Anything else?
T.J.
Head Piddler, My Shop
Central Arkansas
The mortisers or drill press are just acting as a lever to both spin the bit, and force the cutting edge down on the work. From that perspective it can be accomplished by even a lowly HF model. The meat and taters are going to be the table the stock works on, and any X Y type vise or holder that allows you ease of moving the position of the stock to exactly where you want it, while still keeping it against a fence so all cuts are in line.

Then there are the mortising chisels, and it is here I would suggest you spend your money both on good quality chisels, and bits, and also some type of flat stone, and sharpening cone stones. The part that does the work, no matter if it's a 1000K PM or a $75 yardsale wonder is really sharp chisels, and bits. Then you use those really sharp cutters, and lever them down into the wood. Once you have all the right parts, then you need to properly set up your mortiser to best take advantage of the bit and chisel, and make them work for you, rather than against.

Not a bad video to watch

Sharp good quality bits/chisels on a HF machine will cut better than dull cutters on a PM floor model. Machine isn't the answer, it's all the other parts

Setting up your machine
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW