Inspired a high angle spoke shave - some pics
I built a high angle spokeshave with the design borrowed from David Barron's writeup

Working with South American hardwoods has forced me to add a lot of high angle tools to my arsenal. I don’t have a router table so I had to come up with different ways to cut the ramp angles. Luckily I own a small milling machine so I used that to slowly cut will multiple passes the desired bed angle. I wanted a really high bed angle and decided on 65 degrees. The wood used for the plane body is Macaranduba. I made some minor changes to David’s design by adding large knurled knobs for easy removal of the blade without a tool. I had issues with getting the bolts to hold on just threaded wood. To solve this problem I embedded brass nuts in the back of the shave. I made the knobs and nuts on my metal lathe. Its really nice to complement woodworking with metalworking. Blade was purchased from Lie Nielsen. For being the first one that I made it did not turn out to bad. Just wanted to share this journey, thanks for looking.

Stealth gloat on the curly macaranduba wood I am working on. Hope to put this shave to work when building the legs.

That is very nice! It sounds like you've got a great shop there. (The main thing I have in common with you is the type of table that's holding the chair-bottom....)
Chris
Deeno, very nice! I was wondering if anyone else had made these. I made a flat-bottomed one, and it worked so well I made another with a round bottom.

One thing you can see i added was two alignment dowels, glued into the detachable throat piece, that fit into holes in the main piece. I think this helps keep the sole flatter.

I'm kind of ambivalent about the design of these tools--they were really designed to be built with power, not hand tools. I think if I ever got motivated enough to build another, I would try a solid-body mortised design.

However, I'm not at all ambivalent about how they work--they work extremely well. I've never understood why more people aren't into the idea of high angle shaves, but they aren't.

Anyway, enjoy your new shave! Looks great!
voigtplanes.com
blackdogswoodshop.blogspot.com
However, I'm not at all ambivalent about how they work--they work extremely well. I've never understood why more people aren't into the idea of high angle shaves, but they aren't.

I've praised the HNT Gordon shaves for many years. On interlocked grain they are the best out there.

Review from 2007: http://www.inthewoodshop.com/ToolReviews...HAVES.html

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com
Steve, nice job on the shaves. I must have used a pilot hole that was to big for my shave. When I used just the threaded wood to hold the blade cap I striped the treads even when re-inforced with epoxy.
Derek, I know you have. But very few others have followed suit.
I did notice that the HNT shaves get a good workout in the Doucette & Wolfe videos. That's a powerful endorsement in my book.
voigtplanes.com
Deeno, looks like we both had to try it both ways. I started with threaded inserts, blew up my first version, and had to start over.
When tapping wood, I usually use a drill bit smaller than specified tap drill size. For example, here I used 1/4-20 threads. The specified bit is a no.7 (.201"), but I used a 3/16". Seems to help.
voigtplanes.com