What finish would be best?
Did a little sawdust therapy and kicked out this small vase/weedpot from a blank of spalted hackberry that my son had given me for Father's day. First time turning anything spalted and curious as to what type of finish would really make the grain pop out on this
Almost any oil finish should do the job. I like Waterlox, but it is expensive compared to some other oil based finishes. Danish Oil is a commonly used finish that would also work, and it's commonly available at the big box stores, and even Walmart.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
I'd go with a spar urethane spray, in a satin finish.
Helmsman makes a really excellent spray in the rattle cans.
I believe that "Finish Follows Function"
That is a utility piece gets a different finish then a decorative one.
I'd class your piece as decorative. Which means a film finish.

Wipe-on-Poly, spray lacquer, shellac, etc. Followed by a light buff and wax.
Making sawdust mostly, sometimes I get something else, but that's more accident then design.
What interesting timing. I just finished this spalted maple vase. I used rattle can shellac. You can decide if you like it. One positive thing, it seemed to harden the slightly punky wood.

badwhiskey said:

What interesting timing. I just finished this spalted maple vase. I used rattle can shellac. You can decide if you like it. One positive thing, it seemed to harden the slightly punky wood.

Like BW I use Deft Danish Oil and then top it off with Shellac after the oil is dry. To me personally that is a great finish.

Arlin

PS = The vase is nicely done. Someday I will get enough of any spalted wood I want.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
BLO would bring out the grain and then finish with some poly.
Thanks Arlin. The wood came from the firewood pile. I have the family trained not to burn any interesting wood!
I can certainly understand using certain finishes when the intended function is considered. For example, I wouldn't ever use a film finish on a salad bowl. What is your rationale for a film finish? Easier to apply? Makes the grain pop better than an oil finish?

n7bsn said:

I believe that "Finish Follows Function"
That is a utility piece gets a different finish then a decorative one.
I'd class your piece as decorative. Which means a film finish.

Wipe-on-Poly, spray lacquer, shellac, etc. Followed by a light buff and wax.

Still Learning,

Allan Hill
AHill said:

I can certainly understand using certain finishes when the intended function is considered. For example, I wouldn't ever use a film finish on a salad bowl. What is your rationale for a film finish? Easier to apply? Makes the grain pop better than an oil finish?

People like high gloss finish. But for a functional piece that film finish will eventually chip and look terrible.
Making sawdust mostly, sometimes I get something else, but that's more accident then design.