Framing a wall mounted mirror
I have a large mirror on our bathroom wall over the double vanity. It's basically glued to the wall. I want to put a frame on the mirror using PVC trim that I would attach to the mirror/glass using silicone adhesive. What I need to figure out is how to hold the frame to the mirror/glass while the silicone dries. I can't get behind the mirror to put a clamp. Ideas??
How about springing some pieces of small diameter PVC pipe between the frame and the opposite wall?
Fit the pieces using painter's tape to hold for sizing.

Use the silicon on the top piece, leaving the other pieces taped, and retaping the top piece in place.

Then do the bottom piece the same way.

Then both sides, the bottom will hold them up.

don't forget to paint the inside , back edge to match the outside. The reflection will show some of the back of the trim.
Go easy on the silicone, it doesn't take much
Apply several small pieces of adhesive mounting tape and then use the silicone between pieces of mounting tape.

I used this technique to mount a magazine rack to the wall in my bathroom. The mounting tape itself will loosen over time, but it works instantly and will hold well for 24 hours while the silicone adhesive dries.

You only need a few very small pieces of the tape to secure it long enough to let the silicone cure.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
I used automotive trim adhesive tape. The pieces have not moved it is a 3M product but i am not sure which #. It is at home but I can check and post the # this evening.
Cooler said:

Apply several small pieces of adhesive mounting tape and then use the silicone between pieces of mounting tape.

I used this technique to mount a magazine rack to the wall in my bathroom. The mounting tape itself will loosen over time, but it works instantly and will hold well for 24 hours while the silicone adhesive dries.

You only need a few very small pieces of the tape to secure it long enough to let the silicone cure.

I think you could get away with just the tape - besides the weight of the frame what else is there to support? Heck you could probably get away with a quality 2-sided tape for that matter.
vernonator said:

[blockquote]Cooler said:

I think you could get away with just the tape - besides the weight of the frame what else is there to support? Heck you could probably get away with a quality 2-sided tape for that matter.

[/blockquote]

Probably. If it were a half bath I would probably use just the tape. But if it is a full bath (with all the attendant steam) I would add a few drops of silicone just to be safe.

The big box stores and Staples both carry double sided mounting tape (white foam core). I bought 3M's industrial grade from Amazon.com. It has a gray core and is the same stuff that I used to mount the rain guards on my car windows. Good stuff, and worth the effort to locate it.
Thanks guys, I like the tape and silicone or tape and automotive adhesive ideas. The tape should hold it in place while the adhesive dries.
Thanks again, you guys are the best!
jimh42 said:

Thanks guys, I like the tape and silicone or tape and automotive adhesive ideas. The tape should hold it in place while the adhesive dries.
Thanks again, you guys are the best!

The other nice part is that your wife will think the job is done immediately (and it is) even though the adhesive is yet to dry.

The automotive adhesive?? Is that the stuff for rear view mirrors?