Veneering Bamboo Ply
Last week I picked up some 3/4" bamboo ply from Woodwerks. It looks very solid. It measures a full 3/4" and the core appears to be made up of face glued strips. I am going to use it for the side and rear panels of a small night stand. I'm anxious to veneer it and see how it works. Anyone else veneered bamboo ply? How about joining it to the leg - loose tenon/spline or just cut the tenon as part of the panel?

Lonnie
That's some expensive substrate. Seems like overkill
Woodwork... It's what I do for a living.
(well, such as it may be, It's my job)
((cept my boss is a @#!*&))
I think I'm gonna fire myself for that
Never worked with it before wanted to check it out. Cost worked out to about 6$ a sq ft. Won't amount to much for the few small panels I'm doing. Don have you used it for other assemblies?

Lonnie
Like Don, I think that's an expensive substrate for veneering. My thought is that one would use bamboo ply for aesthetic reasons i.e. the grain, color, and pattern. For that reason I used it to build a bath room vanity in which I had a particular design (sort of modern zen) and look in mind. Here are my observations when I worked with it:
1. It's heavy and expensive.
2. You need a good/sharp plywood blade to prevent chipping/slplintering for clean cross cuts. It splinters easily.
3. It moves quite a bit so acclimate is a must.
4. I had some cupping issues on some of the material. I think it might be do to the core being laminated strips. Just my opinion.
5 . It machines well but hard on the tool steel.
6. It takes fasteners fairly well.
7. It takes glue and finishes fairly well.

Would I work with it again? Yes, but only for when I what that specific look. I would not use it as a veneer substrate though. My .02.

If you do decide to use it for veneering let us know how it works out. I would be interested to know if it does make a good substrate.

Johnet
John,
There are some beautiful pieces out there from bamboo ply. Do you have any pictures of your vanity? How/What type of finish did you use? I'm going to veneer the panels this weekend so I'll post some pictures.

Lonnie
My son uses it for longboards. Custom skateboards. Usually one does not use 'pretty' wood or ply for substrate. It's a waste .. $180-220 per sheet
Woodwork... It's what I do for a living.
(well, such as it may be, It's my job)
((cept my boss is a @#!*&))
I think I'm gonna fire myself for that
Don,
I'm not concerned about the cost for this project. The three small panels are each around a square foot so maybe $20 total. I haven't used bamboo of any type before so I wanted to experiment a little and see how it was to work with. Obviously, pricing would be a concern if I was building a large case.

I veneered some test pieces tonight and my initial impression is similar to what John said - Need to have a sharp plywood blade to cut it and it does splinter easily. I veneered one panel on one side only and have it setting over night to see if it distorts. Just having fun and learning some basic veneering skills.

Lonnie
I'll be the third to say if you are veneering a panel there are better, MUCH less expensive, substrates out there to use that I am aware will be flat, and extremely stable for you to use for a small side panel. I am not familiar at all with Bamboo ply, but if it costs what was suggested, well that is a lot to just cover up. But your responses to the suggestions so far has been to discount what has been suggested, and seems like you are going to use it in spite of what you are being told. So I wonder, why did you ask?
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
Steve N said:

I'll be the third to say if you are veneering a panel there are better, MUCH less expensive, substrates out there to use that I am aware will be flat, and extremely stable for you to use for a small side panel. I am not familiar at all with Bamboo ply, but if it costs what was suggested, well that is a lot to just cover up. But your responses to the suggestions so far has been to discount what has been suggested, and seems like you are going to use it in spite of what you are being told. So I wonder, why did you ask?

And now the OP can say for the third time that he's already got the bamboo ply, it's small, and the cost isn't important. So I wonder, why did you bother to post?

I am interested in why he posted. Sorry if I offended your sensibilities. I can understand you had to post to try to pick a fight, ain't rising to that level of silliness.
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW