What type of wood is this?
I picked up this wood carvers mallet at a garage sale and I'm not sure what type of wood it is. Any guesses? It weighs 19 oz's, is 9" long and head size is 2 3/4" for those that may inquire. I've never owned any Lignum Vitae, but it does feel heavy. Thanks!!
" /> http://" />
It sure does look like lignum. Weight is the final clue. If this mallet is heavier than hard maple, then it probably is LV. Good score.
===---===---===---===---===---===---===---===---
Please visit my website
splintermaking.com
I think you're right with the Lignum Vitae.
One nearly conclusive test is to see if it sinks in water.
Lumber Logs, domestic hardwoods at wholesale prices: http://www.woodfinder.com/listings/012869.php

Lumber Logs' blog: Follow the adventure
Tom, I thought about that thinking back to old Persimmon golf club heads. I am sure it will sink, but I will try it for fun anyway.
Probably is Lignum Vitae which seems to be the like Gum. It can look like any wood.

I have also seen a lot of use of Goncalo Alves in Mexico for everything, including bats, and mallets. It also has a lot of variations in color.

Wood Database

Made and sold for the tourist trade, so a lot of it sneaks up here.
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
JimReed@Tallahassee said:

It sure does look like lignum. Weight is the final clue. If this mallet is heavier than hard maple, then it probably is LV. Good score.

+1
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
Lignum or dogwood.
Steve S.
------------------------------------------------------
Tradition cannot be inherited, and if you want it you must obtain it by great labour.
- T. S. Eliot

Tutorials and Build-Alongs at The Literary Workshop
Definitely lignum vitae. I have one just like it.
The greenish tint gives it away.