More CNC questions
Does anyone use a double head CNC? How about a tool changing CNC?

Does anyone make a reasonably priced vertical CNC (turn the gantry 90*) for woodoworking.
I tried not believing.  That did not work, so now I just believe
I have a Shopbot PRS Alpha 60 X 96 with a tool changer at work.
I'm not sure what you mean about a vertical CNC. Are you talking about movement on the Z axis?
I might be able to answer some of your questions about the toolchanger. What do you want to know?
Rick
Shopbot has a 5 axis cnc
Thanks Rick.
I know I can buy a smaller CNC for <10K USD. I am wondering about the cost of a tool change feature. The Shopbot PRS is a >20K model and the tool change option is ~15K. That begins to answer my question. I would think I could put a second router, and the controls for a second router on the gantry for less. However, the tool changer can hold up to 8 tools. At this point I am just doing some thinking and research.

re: vertical CNC, think about the difference between a router table and a horizontal router table. A woodworking CNC is generally horizontal by default. The 5 axis that Fixtureman pointed to is the right idea. However, it is a dog. It does not have enough power to cut hardwood.

If I do decide to jump into the CNC world, there will be a learning curve. However, I am sure I can do it, since I can program a computer. I am a hobbyist. I doubt I would buy anything other than a basic 3 axis, small bed machine. I just want to know what is out there and what my options are.
I use dual plates (one for top of work and one fixed) and can bit change on the spindle in under 30 seconds with the second tool touching off only on the fixed plate and ready to cut. Far cry from tool changer but not $5K either.

I also have two G540s on my machine which is 8 controllable axis. I use 5 - 4 for the machine (Y is slaved) and a 5th for the 3d printer head. Ill use a couple more for a chinese bolt on 4th and 5th axis or roll my own. Just another project.

You can build whatever gantry you want but how will you model it?

Thermwood makes an amazing 5 axis tall machine. What is affordable?

Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

On my homemade CNC, I made a clamping board on the side, to hold wood vertical.. This allowed me to cut sliding dovetails at the end of a board. So I get most of the functionality you are using. Of course, I am limited by the distance from the floor to my max Z height as board length.. However, I have it designed to be more than 48", so that realistically should cover everything I ever need to do.

Link to picture
http://i696.photobucket.com/albums/vv329...2hw5ta.jpg

The clamp on the left slides in T tracks. I butt that up against the wood to be held. The clamp on the right is fixed, and is set so the board is clamped at 90 degrees. The holes drilled in the board are for shelf pins to help support the board against gravity (Actually, not used much).
web page

web page

If I was buying a CNC I'd get something like this... The Hurco is stupid simple to program, as far as CNC's go.
Mark

I'm no expert, unlike everybody else here - Busdrver

Nah...I like you, young feller...You remind me of my son... Timberwolf 03/27/12

Here's a fact: Benghazi is a Pub Legend... CharlieD 04/19/15

CLETUS said:

web page

web page

If I was buying a CNC I'd get something like this... The Hurco is stupid simple to program, as far as CNC's go.

Thanks. I can fit a Shop Bot in my little hobby shop.
After looking at prices for what I want, I believe your method is what I will get, if I decide to take the plunge.
Thanks.
There are "aggregate heads" for CNCs that can be manually set or even powered to run router bits at angles from 0-90 degrees relative to the work surface. There are also 5-axis machines that can aim your bit pretty well anywhere within a sphere.

The programming of these machine is a different world than the programming for a typical 3-axis (really 2.5D) machine. The cost is substantially higher too.

What is it you want to do?

Ralph
Ralph Bagnall
www.woodcademy.com
Watch Woodcademy TV free on our website.