Knock down assembly table
Thinking of putting together a temp assembly table for occasional larger projects. Adjustable height saw horses (Hico metal) and 36 or 42 inch slab door.
Better ideas? Would there be much difference if the slab door was hollow core vs solid?
huge difference between the hollow core and solid core door.

The hollow core will be trashed the first time you need to persuade a joint together

The solid core is going to be about 10 times heavier than the HC door so expect to get some weight lifting in

My assembly table top is two laminated core cutoffs 1 3/4" 10 " wide x 80" long from a solid core door

Served me well for over 15 yrs now , I can still set up in minutes and I am not lifting a SC door onto sawhorses

Joe
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy 

When my bro switched out all the hollow core doors in his house, I took a bunch of them and have used them C-clamped to horses as assembly tables without any issue for 20 years, stronger than you think. A lot lighter than solid ones too, of which I have two used the same way. Just my personal experience. Try a salvage place or Habitat re-store, hollow core doors can be had cheap.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
I bought one of the white plastic folding tables. The blow molded kind that fold in half with the legs inside. It has stood up well, is light weight and folds quite flat and small when I do not need it.

Ralph
Ralph Bagnall
www.woodcademy.com
Watch Woodcademy TV free on our website.
IMHO you want a bench top that is flat and strong. Strong is relative, but flat is not. If it ain't flat your glue ups won't come out flat or square. Above all else, make sure it's flat.

John
jteneyck said:

IMHO you want a bench top that is flat and strong. Strong is relative, but flat is not. If it ain't flat your glue ups won't come out flat or square. Above all else, make sure it's flat.
John

Absolutely, and for this reason I'd say make your saw horses, and use elevator feet to adjust them for dead flat, and to have no wobble. Then build a torsion box to sit on top. Properly built it will hold a lot of weight, you can fold it all up for storage, and everything you build on it has a chance of not looking like a dog's hind leg.
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
Here's another approach: http://www.popularwoodworking.com/articl...Box_System
Benches, yes, flat is necessary. Assembly tables, not so much. It's easy to overthink this, keep it simple. If you dry fit your joints properly and measure for square when clamped, you can glue up on an old curvy surfboard with a shim if necessary. I've satisfactorily glued up at least a dozen base cabinets and bookshelves on those old hollow core doors, not to mention side tables and chairs.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
I'm thinking of building this one for the garage. Flip Top

Bob
"All that I do or say is all that I ever will be"

Billy Joe Shaver, Old Five and Dimers Like Me
Admiral said:

Benches, yes, flat is necessary. Assembly tables, not so much. It's easy to overthink this, keep it simple. If you dry fit your joints properly and measure for square when clamped, you can glue up on an old curvy surfboard with a shim if necessary. I've satisfactorily glued up at least a dozen base cabinets and bookshelves on those old hollow core doors, not to mention side tables and chairs.

I have worked on both flat and curvy surfaces.

I'll take a flat assemble table over a curvy one every time.
Alaskan's for Global Warming
Eagle River AK