Tormek?
Trying to decide on a Tormek. Is the T4 really a good alternative to the T7? I just started turning, and would like to be able to sharpen my turning tools. I already can sharpen my plane blades and chisels well with my various stones and jigs.
Roger
I am big fan but not a turner, so ask the guys in the turning forum below, you'd get more specific answers. I'm not a big turner, but the good turners I know all use Wolverine jigs on slow speed grinders.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
This.

The advantage of the Tormek is slow speed + water cooled, good for chisels etc. HSS lathe tools can take the heat better, and a grinder is much faster.
Good judgement is the product of experience.
Experience is the product of poor judgement.
I've never used one of the 8" models, so this is all speculation: I think there will be a slower surface speed with the smaller wheel, making an already slow method more slow. The Jet 10" has variable speed control so you can speed it up as the wheel shrinks negating the effect. That was one of the improvements that Tormek didn't copy on their updated designs. I have an older Tormek 2000, as well as the Jet, and the slow speed 8" grinder with a Wolverine. I can say the edge you get on your sharpening tools is significantly better with less tool wear than the slow speed grinder....but it takes a while to do it. So my guess (and it is a guess) is the T4 does everything the T7 does, and just as well.....but more slowly.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
For turning a Tormak is a wast of money. The wolverine is better for turning tools.
I'm a turner. I have the Jet version of the Tormek, and it just sits gathering dust. A slow speed wet grinder is fine for things like axes, chisels, and plane blades. For turning, you don't need that fine of a grind, and the slow speed will take a lot of time away from your turning. Get yourself a slow speed regular grinder and a Wolverine jig (I have both the platform jig and the vari-grind). Once you've established a profile on a tool, freshening up the edge takes literally seconds. Less time than it takes to crank up the Tormek and let it soak up the water into the stone.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
I have a Tormek, have you ever poured molasses out of a bottle at 20 below zero? It sit on a shelf while I use my Work Sharp

Disclaimer, I don't do turning tools. Mostly chisels and plane irons.
Alaskan's for Global Warming
Eagle River AK
I have been using my 1x30 belt sander (HF for $40) for turning tools. I use Worksmart for all my other sharpening needs. I would love a Tormek but it cost too much. My Worksmart does everything I need except knives and the price is much cheaper.
John

Always use the right tool for the job.

We need to clean house.
Tormeks are very good grinders. The bigger models are much better than the smaller ones.
Personally I prefere my floor standing Alimak with a much bigger wheel than any Tormek but the principle is the same.

I would say that it all depends on our turning technique. If you scrape a lot you will never need a perfect edge and any bench grinder will be fine. Cheaper and faster.
If you turn the old way with the tools cutting while riding on the bevel you must have a flat or slightly concave bevel. If that is the case a waterstone grinder is by far the best way of sharpening. Without competition from anything else.

Because of the differences between theese two turning techniques you will always get totally contradicting advice from turners.
Myself I don't turn much but I know several people who are good at it and one real master.
The famous Swedish master turner and woodcarver Wille Sundqvist uses a waterstone grinder and the old cutting technique. He considers it the only proper way as do most of those turners who really know the craft.
The new fangled scraping technique is a lot more widespread among hobbyists and with some training it can produce surprizingly good results but sooner or later you will reach it's limits if you turn a lot. Especially if you work in woods that aren't very hard.

Choose what fits YOU best. There is nothing such as a "one grinder fits all".
Part timer living on the western coast of Finland. Not a native speaker of English
Before I started turning I was very impressed by a Tormek demonstration at one of the Wood Working Shows. The man was gifted! A year later I got a lathe, tools, and ordered a Tormek. It is amazing but it is not the right system, IMHO, for the frequent turner.
"I tried being reasonable..........I didn't like it." Clint Eastwood