Lego table
What would you guys use to attach a Lego base plate to a plywood top?
I'd use 3M VHB tape. With a little heat from a hair dryer it could be removed again if the table needs to be re-purposed but it would be difficult for the little hoodlums to remove. We use it at work to anchor things when we don't want to drill holes like on the side of anesthesia machines.
When I built my son's table I put a 3/8" lip around the edge. It keeps the plates in place and he can rearrange them as he pleases. He has road, moonscape and plain ones and the table is big enough for a 4x4 (maybe 3x3, I'm not in a spot where I can check) grid of them. Gluing them down would limit his creativity.

One feature I really wish I had included was a hole with a "manhole" cover that could be removed and the Legos bulldozed through the hole into a bucket below. Picking up hundreds of Legos off the table sucks.
If you can't find VHB tape, (I also have used it with great success and 2nd the motion ) try FastCaps SpeedTape
I no longer build museums but don't want to change my name. My new job is a lot less stressful. Life is much better.

Garry
I think Worthing's idea is the way to go. That way the base plates can be swapped out. If they have to be stuck fast then tape would be way better than glue or epoxy IMO. Good luck with the project.
Luke

Worthing said:

When I built my son's table I put a 3/8" lip around the edge. It keeps the plates in place and he can rearrange them as he pleases. He has road, moonscape and plain ones and the table is big enough for a 4x4 (maybe 3x3, I'm not in a spot where I can check) grid of them. Gluing them down would limit his creativity.

One feature I really wish I had included was a hole with a "manhole" cover that could be removed and the Legos bulldozed through the hole into a bucket below. Picking up hundreds of Legos off the table sucks.

The lip and manhole cover are great ideas... When they're young and need containment that's important. As they get older or get into building things that stay built, not as important.
Benny

By the way this is my Lego table... Built the main body of it when I was 14 or 15. Still in my parent's basement almost 25 years later. Some day I'll have to move it all... That's going to be a moving truck rental my wife won't like You can crawl under and stand in the middle. It actually has a hinge and clasp so you can open it and walk in (I also broke my leg when I was 14, so crawling wasn't much of an option), but it's way too heavy for that. The little side wings and upper deck were added later

Benny

bennybmn said:

I have the Shell gas station too, but I can't see any other sets I recognize. I built a table years ago with a lip that's about 20" high and its usually so covered with Lego, the kids build on the floor. I've been thinking about building a table like the one above so they can build from all sides, but really what we need is Lego organization. We have my old collection, which wasn't tiny, their own Lego and a few cousins who had a decent collection and sold it for $120. Now the boys complain they can't ever find the piece they need.
Thanks for the suggestions. The customer wants the plates permanently attached. Just curious what adhesive you think would work best. Liquid nails strong enough? Contact cement? My concern is it laying totally flat against the plywood.
That is a very nice selection of Legos. Did you ever have issues with friends coming over and everyone wanting to stand in the middle? Looks like a hole big enough for one.