Insite about Abranet
I have been wanting to try it for some time but it is out of the budget.

SOOOO I got to thinking and looking around and thought of Drywall Sanding Screenin Menards. It looks just like abranet and sands quite well on the dry mud so would that do the same?

I know it is a third the price and goes from 80 up to 220 that I know of.

What do you guys think of maybe using this?

Arlin
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
This is my opinion only. I am sure there are people here who know much more.
It's okay but I have had more luck purchasing the "bonus boxes from Klingspor's.
The stuff I have used leaves an irregular scratch pattern, with some deeper than you would expect from that grit level. I will sometimes use it for very coarse work if I have some left over from mudding, but would not trust it in higher grits. If you do want to experiment, be sure to work it over some scrap wood first to get rid of some of the peaks and irregularities.
''How can we ever hope to understand atoms?'' Heisenberg had lamented that day.

''I think we may yet be able to do so,'' Bohr replied. ''But in the process we may have to learn what the word 'understanding' really means.''
I've used Mirka for years and absolutely love it. Does a great job & lasts for forever. Got some of the drywall sanding mesh you mentioned at the flea market one time & it didn't work well at all.
"I'm glad being trapped in the woods hunted by an insane militia made you ask the big life questions."

Check out my Project Blog
Thanks guys I was hopping I would get a good product cheaper.

I have used Klingspor box and used it all up and what Slav gave me a lot and it is now gone.

They use a lot of sanding paper now that I ran out of pen kits last Sept and they are making bowls, boxes and vases. When they make pens and pencils it does not take to much paper.

Arlin
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

Arlin,

Having used both drywall screen and Abranet, comparing them is like comparing burlap and silk. Abranet is much finer and more flexible than drywall screen. The two are not, in my opinion, interchangeable.

Ralph
Ralph Bagnall
www.woodcademy.com
Watch Woodcademy TV free on our website.
Thanks Ralph

The guys said the same thing so I will not be using it, but it was an idea anyway.

Thanks everyone for the help.

Arlin

I have some 3M sanding rolls (1.5"wide?) made for the automotive finishing industry. Grit is uniform and works well. Looks similar to the others but I assume better quality control.
I only use it when sanding green before taking off the lathe to remove tool marks, etc. to ease final sanding after drying.
The Abranet I use comes in 4x8 sheets and run from 80 to 600 grit.I cut them down to 2inch squares and that makes it go
further.I find it works well with a light touch and when it loads up just flick it with your finger and it's good for more sanding.Most of what I use it on is small bowls and pens and other small pieces.
Well shama lamma ding dong to you too......
I don't keep up with new stuff, I'm actually really bad at that, so bear with me. I think the drywall sanding nets are silicon carbide abrasive. Isn't abranet aluminum oxide, or an aluminum oxide/ceramic composite? If that is the case, aside from quality and consistency problems, you are not using the same abrasive. Silicon carbide abrasive is great stuff, and for those tasks it is well suited to it is uniquely qualified. Where it is not well suited, it can do as much harm as it can do good.