Serendipity
I need to rename my van "Serendipity" given the number of times serendipity has intervened in its build. I can't count the number of times an odd cut-off was exactly what I needed somewhere else. Sometimes even the curve or angled cut of a cut-off was an exact fit elsewhere. We have an articulated bed because LOML misunderstood me and hooked a strap in the "wrong" hole. I could go on and on.

But yesterday takes the cake. I'm still trying to wrap my head around my good fortune. I had spent days making the template for the counter. No simple rectangle, but including eight variously sized curves. Fastened it to my one remaining piece of BB and started routing. As I was contemplating how smoothly this new Whiteside bit was cutting, the bit slipped in the router and gouged template and piece. D#%*. In the back of my mind I recognized that the slip occurred at a spot that might could be adjusted. So I adjusted and finished.

When I put the counter in place I realized that the original template was wrong. If the bit had not slipped, the inset lid would not have opened right.
Carolyn

Trip Blog for Twelve Countries:   [url=http://www.woodworkingtraveler.wordpress.com[/url]

"It's good to know, but it's better to understand."  Auze Jackson
How about Karma ? Good things happen to good people,
I no longer build museums but don't want to change my name. My new job is a lot less stressful. Life is much better.

Garry
Maybe my daughter is sending me good will. The van helped me muddle through the recent anniversary of her death.
Carolyn

Trip Blog for Twelve Countries:   [url=http://www.woodworkingtraveler.wordpress.com[/url]

"It's good to know, but it's better to understand."  Auze Jackson
I truly believe that you may be right. I won't get into it on here but, my wife has made me a firm believer in just such a thing. You obviously are a good person and deserve a turn of good fortune.
I no longer build museums but don't want to change my name. My new job is a lot less stressful. Life is much better.

Garry
Good things happen to good people....probably why stuff like that never (ever) happens to me.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
Some old saying I've heard more than once.......I'd rather be lucky than good
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
fredhargis said:

Good things happen to good people....probably why stuff like that never (ever) happens to me.

Fred, I don't know you personally, but I'd guess you're right.

But you've helped me a lot with your insight.

Joel
USN (Corpsman) 1968-1972
USAF Retired Aug 31, 1994
Santa Rosa County, Fl Retired Jun 1, 2012
Now just a hobbiest enjoying woodworking!
Carolyn, I had an experience with the router bit slipping and ruining the template, not as lucky as you, but I was able to recover. I have also had many "serendipity" experiences in the shop. I frequently tell people "God loves you, but He loves me more." I know that is not a true statement but boy, there are those times when it feels true.
"I tried being reasonable..........I didn't like it." Clint Eastwood
For things like that to happen you have to be in a frame of mind to recognize them.
RD
------------------------------------------------------------------
"Boy could I have used those pocket screws!" ---Duncan Phyfe
Ding ding- winner winner chicken dinner!

I think you pegged it Richard, goes along with "when life hands you lemons make lemonade"
Proud maker of large quantities of sawdust......oh, and the occasional project!