bending chestnut wormy
has any one have any issues with bending wormy chest nut
south vietnam war collage
As in steam-bending? I think that's ill-advised in wormy chestnut. For starters, chestnut isn't a particularly good steam-bending wood to begin with. Add in the fact that the "wormy" is indicative of at least some degree of decay and will serve as a place where breaks can propogate...I wouldn't expect much luck.
"If I had eight hours to cut down a tree, I'd spend six hours sharpening my axe."

My Woodworking Blog: A Riving Home
thanks justin
i could not find any thing on bending i well guess that shot the plan i had going to have to look at using some other wood
i'll find some project to use it on
As noted it was blighted by Asian bark fungus (Cryphonectria parasitica), and this damaged most of the wood in the USA. The damaged wood is perfect if a rustic look is desired, but as to bending "Chestnut splits easily, so care must be taken in nailing and screwing the wood" This ease at splitting is mostly due to it's defects, however it is known to have an interlocking grain, which sometimes makes a wood coarse, and also hard to bend.

I'd take what you have and make some pretty boxes out of it.
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
a friend was cleaning out his dads pile of lumber and has a "bit" of planks
said 2x3.5 some 8ft he told me to come get them
with a new grand baby was going through some plans thought this was a great test for a old man so much for the use of it for this
i'll find some thing flat. funny how my brain works i just was having this mental picture of having chestnut splinters flying all over my shop
You might get lucky if you use bending straps. Or it might just contain the shrapnel.

-Mark
If I had a signature, this wouldn't be it.
yes mark thats what concerns me
I can't remember the author of the book but he said you can steam bend any wood you like as long as it is oak!, if you are looking for success more often than failure. I've had some experience with different types of wood and I would have to agree. I've now turned to bend lamination. More work but, pretty much works with any wood type, although I've never tried chestnut (wormy or otherwise).
well i'm going to try some shot pieces mill them to .25 steam them put them in a bending jig then lam them use tbII glue see what happens have to do a 32 in dia its just the chest nut is free and i love the way it looks when a good finish is on it
if i won't work ill use it to do some thing flat i bet i have 1200 bd ft
and its as dry as the Sahara . 75 so think its going to take a lot of steam as they say you'll never know till you try just thought some one out there has done it thanks all for the help
Let us know how it goes.